General confusion over polystyrene

Just quit busting my balls man. I don't get what your problem is.

Actually, now that I think of it, I think the first thing I tried was to tape old newspapers to that back wall and slam some couch pillows in the corners. That also worked quite well. I also tried a thin mattress from an old yard chair and yes, of course the old blanket. Do you think I'm stupid or what?

Please define how you determined "worked quite well". You did a frequency measurement with a white/pink noise generator before and after? Of course reducing slap-back echo will improve things. Comb filtering and low frequency attenuation can only be judged using the correct input and measuring devices and well-trained ears.

In the Radio studios build I was involved with they used multiple layers of Fiberglass panels as provided by a sound proofing company. The doors were especially different in that some studio have wood doors but this one like the studios at WPNT 100.3 in Chicago were made by Huff and they took 6 guys to position them to be mounted. You could yell at a person on the other side and just barely hear him so that is a lot of attenuation.
The WPNT studios were modified for ESPN work AM1000 then they sold to another company and I think the Drive is there now.

Please define how you determined "worked quite well".

Intuition.

You did a frequency measurement with a white/pink noise generator before and after? Of course reducing slap-back echo will improve things. Comb filtering and low frequency attenuation can only be judged using the correct input and measuring devices and well-trained ears.

No. The only point of anything I described was to QUICKLY do something to correct the unintelligible speech. I did NOT at any point claim that I had any knowledge of WHAT anything caused. Quite the contrary.

In addition, the apparent need (according to miroslav) for me to "lighten up" and "get a sense of humour" is making everything infinitely more confusing. For everyone. You and I might know what's humour here, but OTHERS will take it seriously. Happens way too often.

So to sum all this up. NO ONE is recommending anyone use "styrofoam" for any specific purpose at all. No one did that at any point. This discussion is something completely different.

This discussion is irrelevant and a complete waste of everyone's time.

Styrofoam is worthless for sound absorption. Who cares if it and how it burns.

Open ears, and get head out of ass. Use appropriate materials and get to recording. Arguing bullshit is annoying and a waste of your own time.

Sorry, but this is just troll stupidity...

Mic drop...

Baddabing! Another discussion driven in a circle in order to come back to a false narrative. It's funny. I think most of us suspect early on in a conversation like this that someone is not going to be open to changing his or her mind....and even worse......is not going to be able to let it go when he or she can't change the minds of others.....foolish bastard idiots that we are. The waste of time? We....like all good neighbors and good chaps (for you British folks)....and being open minded to learning........go with the flow and sometimes bend over backwards to be nice and attentive.......to crapola served hot and messy.

Mick

Last edited:
Baddabing! Another discussion driven in a circle in order to come back to a false narrative. It's funny. I think most of us suspect early on in a conversation like this that someone is not going to be open to changing his or her mind....and even worse......is not going to be able to let it go when he or she can't change the minds of others.....foolish bastard idiots that we are. The waste of time? We....like all good neighbors and good chaps (for you British folks)....and being open minded to learning........go with the flow and sometimes bend over backwards to be nice and attentive.......to crapola served hot and messy.

Props to hot and messy! LOL!

Cheers to you Mick!

:)

Yes, all pointless. As I said early on, a leading PRACTICAL audio researcher proved EXPS to be 'king useless as a sound absorber (but ok for cones) well over fifty years ago.

Dave.

This discussion is irrelevant and a complete waste of everyone's time.

Styrofoam is worthless for sound absorption. Who cares if it and how it burns.

Open ears, and get head out of ass. Use appropriate materials and get to recording. Arguing bullshit is annoying and a waste of your own time.

Sorry, but this is just troll stupidity...

Mic drop...

Mick

Who are you referring to?

Back