Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Garage Studio plans

Thanks

Post Garage Studio plans

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster

I am looking to turn my freestanding brick built garage into a place to practice drums and guitar. I have done lots of reading and would like to do this on a budget, but so the sound is dampened (I realise it won't be soundproof!)

Please see my rough sketch of what I would like to achieve

The black outline is the exterior brick wall.
    The black 'squares' are brick supports.
    The blue is air/space, approximately 5 inches.
    The gray is a stud wall, with a dry wall for the interior. In between this I am thinking of foam insulation.
    The brown is a double door system
    The red is the garage door

garage-studio-jpg

Would this be enough to dampen the exterior noise? Should I look to rockwall instead of foam insulation. Are there other products budget products that are better, or do I just need to get acoustic material to fill the stud wall?
    Are the brick supports, where there is no 'air' between the stud wall and exterior wall a significant weak point? Could I bring the stud wall closer to the wall to get some more space?
    Is the garage door a significant week point? If so, how best to address this without bricking up?

Any other comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Double walls with rockwool and an airspace between them is what I've seen on the web (with test measurements to back up). It would mean tearing out the existing wall and losing some interior space, but if you want more isolation, short of filling the gap with sand, that's what I'd do. There's no "budget" way to build sound isolation AFAIK.

It does depend to a large degree on how much sound you're trying to keep out. If you're next to a trolley line or airport, it's one thing (ceiling/attic/roof next!), and you won't prevent LF stuff from coming up through the floor, but if it's not a commercial business, it's not a big deal if you just go have a smoke when the garbage truck rolls by once in a while.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Keith

I am looking at doing a similar thing to the roof.

In terms of the amount of sound I want to keep out. The drums will be the problem. I have neighbours and want to keep them happy! Slight noise is fine. If it sounds like they are out open in the garden, thats not good!

What about the garage door (the red line) would this be a weakness?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoo2 View Post
    In terms of the amount of sound I want to keep out. The drums will be the problem. I have neighbours and want to keep them happy! Slight noise is fine. If it sounds like they are out open in the garden, thats not good!

What about the garage door (the red line) would this be a weakness?
    Ok, you want to keep sound *in* more than out - not that different of a problem, but it depends on what you mean. If you're going to plan to use this place in the middle of the night, you might as well remove the garage door and brick and double-wall that, too. (A friend did that but he was building a real studio in his garage, with no expectation to use it ever again as a garage.)

Someone else had a similar problem with the garage door, which they needed to keep working. Not sure how they solved that. It depends on if it's going to be semi-permanent or the door needs to always be usable. The garage doors they put in around here wouldn't remove more than a couple dB of sound.

And, once you start sealing a place up, you have to start thinking about ventilation and cooling, so you really need to plan for that from the start.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Yeah, sound in, its a practice space (rather than any recording).

I would prefer to have the option of using the garage door in the future, but would look to seal it for this purpose. I might double the stud wall this end as it is a weak spot.

I am looking to add to ventilation fans along one of the longer walls. One might be enough.

Thanks
    Somme people do use rockwool between studs (behind the drywall), others use standard fiberglass (fluffy stuff). I would think the heavier stuff is better. A double stud wall (stagger the studs) built right up to the front door will be the best solution to keep the door as is.
    Also consider that you are going to have all sheetrock walls inside - you need to absorb some of that inside sound or its going to sound loud and badly reverby.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Badly reverby doesn't sound good !! Some acoustic panels should sort that out would you think?

Thanks
    As long as when you say 'acoustic panels' you mean rockwool or compressed fiberglass 50-100mm thick.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    If you are putting in a new wall and especially a double wall I would consider just keeping some of the rock wool not covered with dry wall.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    If you are putting in a new wall and especially a double wall I would consider just keeping some of the rock wool not covered with dry wall.
    Thats a great idea. Could I cover it with a thin wood layer (e.g. mdf or plywood) to make it look nicer, or would this have the same effect as drywall?

Thread Information