Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Cover it with cloth.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoo2 View Post
    Thats a great idea. Could I cover it with a thin wood layer (e.g. mdf or plywood) to make it look nicer, or would this have the same effect as drywall?
    Anything solid would basically be the same as drywall. You could just staple some fabric over the front and back sides of say every third or fourth 16" gap (if using Roxul's Safe'n'Sound, for instance - designed to fit between 16" studs). Or build fabric-covered frames for those spaces so you could make it look more finished. Or build/buy a lattice of wood or some other material, though you'd want fabric behind that, too. It could be interesting.

The open spaces wouldn't even have to be floor-to-ceiling but should be made so the sound can get through so it really gets trapped in the space between the outer wall (solidly covered with rock wool).

Add some deep bass traps in the corners and do the same thing with the ceiling (less so, but some I'd think) and it would be well treated.

I'd think this might help provide some way for air to move a little through the space - a single fan at one end is not going to do a lot of good if it can't pull air quietly from other entry spaces. Seal it too tight and you'll hear some whistling.

Full disclosure - I've never done anything like this, so just tossing stuff out there. But, you will need a lot of treatment and mass for soundproofing, and if that leaves nothing but hard surfaces everywhere, you'll need more treatment. Seems like there's got to be a way to use some of the soundproofing material/construction to help with treatment. Admittedly, removing some drywall/mass will diminish the soundproofing effectiveness, so you might find you have to cover those gaps in the end anyway - depends on how "proof" you really need.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

4. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks all, lots of food for thought, but can get to some serious planning now.... will post some pictures.

As for the gap, I am thinking of a canvas picture to fill the space instead of drywall

Thanks
    Thanks all, lots of food for thought, but can get to some serious planning now.... will post some pictures.

As for the gap, I am thinking of a canvas picture to fill the space instead of drywall
    If the picture is printed on fabric it should be Ok, but if you use a dense canvas (as for an oil painting) and thoroughly cover it with paint it's going to be more reflective than plain fabric, which is what most of us use on rockwool panels.

The rule of thumb test is whether you can breathe through the fabric. If not, it's not what you want.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    If you want to reduce the sound from inside to outside or vice-versa, particle board on the inside then do a layer of drywall over it. The gap in between fill with fibreglass as dense as you can afford. The carry out the sound treatment fixed to the drywall. When fixing the particle board to the outside wall use isolating fixings. This kind of thing. Do the same with the ceiling.

Alan.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=witzendoz;4509648 The carry out the sound treatment fixed to the drywall. [/QUOTE]

What sound treatment do you think I would need?

p.s. loved looking through the pictures of your studio, really nice setup!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    You can get this stuff...https://www.locksonline.com/Decorati...SABEgLt2_D_BwE
    To cover part of the rockwool, comes in various patterns and you could glue a thin fabric on the back to hide the wool further.

Also, don't forget to put in lots of 1.1/4" PVC wastepipes to carry audio and data tie lines. Or/and, my fave technique I have seen? Drop mic lines in from the ceiling to about 7feet, keeps cables off the floor.

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

You can get this stuff...https://www.locksonline.com/Decorati...SABEgLt2_D_BwE
    To cover part of the rockwool, comes in various patterns and you could glue a thin fabric on the back to hide the wool further.

Also, don't forget to put in lots of 1.1/4" PVC wastepipes to carry audio and data tie lines. Or/and, my fave technique I have seen? Drop mic lines in from the ceiling to about 7feet, keeps cables off the floor.

Dave.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What sound treatment do you think I would need?

p.s. loved looking through the pictures of your studio, really nice setup!
    You almost always need some bass traps in corners, I am a fan fo having a broadband absorber on the side walls, which is basically a thicker version of a normal 2" thick acoustic panel in the fact it may be 4" thick or 6" thick. I would start with the bass traps and broadband absorbers and then see what the room sounds like. The good thing I like about broadband absorbers is that they also absorb highs thus doing 2 jobs at once.

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    You almost always need some bass traps in corners, I am a fan fo having a broadband absorber on the side walls, which is basically a thicker version of a normal 2" thick acoustic panel in the fact it may be 4" thick or 6" thick. I would start with the bass traps and broadband absorbers and then see what the room sounds like. The good thing I like about broadband absorbers is that they also absorb highs thus doing 2 jobs at once.

Alan.
    Nice. And I could do this in a room with 100% drywall (rather than leave a gap to the rockwall)?

Thanks
    Nice. And I could do this in a room with 100% drywall (rather than leave a gap to the rockwall)?
    Yes, if you want to soundproof, Gaps = Bad. As the gap is a week point on the double layer wall construction.

Alan.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to witzendoz For This Useful Post:

Thread Information