Garage concrete floor sound dampening needed?

ipoo2

My garage conversion is coming along nicely. I have built a room within a room which includes 100mm insulation. I am now thinking on the floor. The floor is currently concrete with wooden beams and chipboard. I raised the floor for damp proofing so could not put insulation here. I could raise it again and add insulation but was wondering if this is needed? The room will be used for guitar and drums. With the final finish thick carpets and rugs.

My main concern is will the drum noise go down and be absorbed by the concrete or could it travel below the chipboard and too the outer walls?

1) If the floor beams are resting directly n the concrete, then sound will get transferred directly through.
2) If you do not have the area between the floor beams well stuffed with insulation, it could act like a giant drum, resonating the sounds in the room.
3) Carpeting is not ideal if you want to record in this room (if its just a practice room that is different).

Yep, the chipboard is nailed to the boards that rest on plastic DPM sheet and then onto concrete. That means it goes straight down?

No chance I could put insulation into the beams now. I could build another on top with beams and insulation between. Would that help, or would it still reverberate the lower level? Anything else could I do?

Vinyl flooring is looking the likely option due to cost.

dayum, that's a lotta mass. Hope there's a lot of vertical space because you're losing about 4 and a half inches of it.

Back