Frugal way to build a sound booth....

elove

Hello all... I am about to start doing some minor recording in a rehearsal space that my group and I use. I am trying to figure out a very frugal way to somewhat soundproof a space in the room so that we can lay some vocals down without hearing all of the noise from the other bands in the rehearsal building. It is a month to month rehearsal space so I cant just go in there and start building. Can you all tell me some home remedies I may be able to use to have a little "vocal booth"? Like some blankets draped over mic stands or something:) Tell about some of the things that you may have done that worked for you until you were financially stable to build. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks...

just how soundproof are you talking? how loud is the outside noise? how quiet are you trying to make it? what do you mean by "minor" recording?

When I say minor recording, I mean that we are not going to be using it as a studio and recording there all the time. The outside noise it not that bad, but I just want to block as much out as possible. Just looking for some cheap ideas that I might be able to try out to see how well it works.

I've never done it, but I can' imagine buying some lengths of PVC piping would be all that expensive - get like 4 6' lenths, and 8 4' lenths and some connectors - build yourself a little portable booth with heavy comforters draped on it.

Just an idea off the top of my head - probably has been tried by people and it sucks, but just a thought =)

(disclaimer: I've never done it, so it might not work. Just a thought while I am sitting here at work trying not to do anything.)

build yourself a little portable booth with heavy comforters draped on it.
This will work for absorbing high frequencys but do NOTHING for isolation. If that is the goal, my best suggestion is 3/4" thick MDF panels hinged together. MASS is the only thing that will impede transmission of sound. MDF is quite heavy, so this will help to a point. Low frequency will still be a problem, and unless you seal it at the top and around the panel used as a door, you will still get leakage.
But if "somewhat" isolation is what you want, this will work MUCHO better than blankets, although lining the panels on the inside with blankets will help with reflections to cut the "boominess" out of the sound in the box. Better yet, is to line it with either panels of foam absorption products , or rigid fiberglass covered with fabric.
fitZ

Back