FREE New baby grand piano

I'm really chuffed for you :(

This is wonderful news :mad:

I'm sending my intrepid troop of transatlantic burgulars as we speak.....:D

I'm really chuffed for you :(

This is wonderful news :mad:

I'm sending my intrepid troop of transatlantic burgulars as we speak.....:D

That's OK I've posted here before... up here in NH there is almost 0 crime. My house is never locked as is my shop/warehouse the studio most of the time but........................we all have shot guns:eek::cool::eek:

That's OK I've posted here before... up here in NH there is almost 0 crime. My house is never locked as is my shop/warehouse the studio most of the time but........................we all have shot guns:eek::cool::eek:
That's OK, I only recruit pacifist burgulars. ;)

My question is what is proper etiquette with tuning. pass the expense on to the artist or have the studio eat the expense?

I would say...since you are using it as a special studio piece, like you would vintage amps and whatnot...it's on your dime to keep it in tune and operational...but I would always ask the artists first if they really plan on using a baby grand or not, before having it tuned up for the session.

Then...I would add it to the bill in a general sort of way...and not as an individual, itemized expense.
IOW...if you have a lot of great studio bonuses ...like great amps, guitars, etc on-tap...I would think that would automatically allow you to charge a slightly higher rate *in general*...than some studio with "0" bonuses/great gear.

I'm not sure how much commercial studios will itemize stuff like that...???

So how friggin big is your entire studio space if your live room is 2 stories high and 100x100??? :eek:

Yo Moresound! Tuning the piano is your responsibility. But it's not like you have to do it before every session, unless you move it around all the time.-Richie

I would say...since you are using it as a special studio piece, like you would vintage amps and whatnot...it's on your dime to keep it in tune and operational...but I would always ask the artists first if they really plan on using a baby grand or not, before having it tuned up for the session.

Then...I would add it to the bill in a general sort of way...and not as an individual, itemized expense.
IOW...if you have a lot of great studio bonuses ...like great amps, guitars, etc on-tap...I would think that would automatically allow you to charge a slightly higher rate *in general*...than some studio with "0" bonuses/great gear.

I'm not sure how much commercial studios will itemize stuff like that...???

So how friggin big is your entire studio space if your live room is 2 stories high and 100x100??? :eek:

Thanks for the insight about billing ...in this economy everyone is looking to save a dime by not spending it.

Well the entire studio space.... the live room 100x100 you know, off that upstairs is a loft area 75x100 a small work shop area for guitar/bass/drums repair or set up before recording plus a lounge area ping pong, TV, couches,etc. that is all one open room also.
Now back on the first floor...The mix room is about 50x30 off that is a vocal booth 10x10 two other rooms that are about 30x30 for soloist up to foursomes, another lounge area with different stereos set up to also listen to the mixes, a kitchen, two bathrooms and one room about 20x20 for all the mics and various studio instruments.
This area was once used by I-robot in their very early days before they became huge and we are very fortunate to have it now.

Last edited:
Yo Moresound! Tuning the piano is your responsibility. But it's not like you have to do it before every session, unless you move it around all the time.-Richie

Ya It's gonna stay put, maybe we'll just seasonally tune it.
How the flooding Richard? Rain again...I'm starting to collect animals two by two. :laughings::laughings::laughings:

We don't have a piano any more (and I will always regret that) due to studio moves and home moves, but when we did the Tuning was worked out like this:

1) If a band turned up and decided that they would like to use the piano on a track we would tune the band to the piano in case it was slightly off concert pitch and the band could use it no charge. If it happened to be out of tune with itself , I have not had it tuned (see point 3 below) and no one told me that the piano was needed sorry but that's too bad.

2) If a recording project was going to have piano throughout and I know beforehand, the piano would be tuned the week before recording started and the cost (at cost price) charged to the project.

3) If during the year that piano started to go out of tune with itself (not just a small concert pitch drift which happens with the weather / temperature change) I would get the piano tuned and that would be a studio cost.

Everyone seemed happy with this arrangement.

Cheers
Alan.

We don't have a piano any more (and I will always regret that) due to studio moves and home moves, but when we did the Tuning was worked out like this:

1) If a band turned up and decided that they would like to use the piano on a track we would tune the band to the piano in case it was slightly off concert pitch and the band could use it no charge. If it happened to be out of tune with itself , I have not had it tuned (see point 3 below) and no one told me that the piano was needed sorry but that's too bad.

2) If a recording project was going to have piano throughout and I know beforehand, the piano would be tuned the week before recording started and the cost (at cost price) charged to the project.

3) If during the year that piano started to go out of tune with itself (not just a small concert pitch drift which happens with the weather / temperature change) I would get the piano tuned and that would be a studio cost.

Everyone seemed happy with this arrangement.

Cheers
Alan.

Thanks Alan......... that sounds fair. :cool:

Back