Frame Construction

tapestry

Does it help to bore holes on the bass trap's frame? I saw a picture here sometime ago. I was also looking at Ethan's traps and noticed some holes around the trap but wasnt sure if the fiberglass was exposed since the frame was covering the fabric.

Is it even a good idea at all?

They lighten the panels tremendously. This helps a lot especially when you're haning your panels off of weak walls.
Acoustically, the holes don't affect the sound to the point of being noticed by the human hear (or any other ear).
I say go for it if you have the time and effort.

wells said:
They lighten the panels tremendously. This helps a lot especially when you're haning your panels off of weak walls.
Acoustically, the holes don't affect the sound to the point of being noticed by the human hear (or any other ear).
I say go for it if you have the time and effort.
I agree with everything Wells says here. Using spade bits, I bored holes in the frames of all my 4" thick panels and a couple of my 2" thick panels. I'm glad I did it, especially with my 4" thick panels, but I still have several more panels to make and I'm not going to bore holes in them -- and for the same reasons that Wells mentions: It's very time-consuming, and I really don't think it's going to make much of a difference acoustically. It also creates quite a mess, so don't bore holes unless you've got a place where saw dust can pile up and not be in the way. Also, if you don't bore holes in the frames, be sure to leave several inches of space between the panel and the wall. You should do that anyway, I think, but especially if you're going to use solid frames.

Disclaimer: I'm still pretty new to this, so everything I just said could be wrong.

Back