Found national chain sells 703 rigid fiberglass

Which type of cheaply-priced fiberglass material is best suited for "sound proofing" a room in a house so that it blocks loud noises like Bass drum on drumsets and bass guitars so one doesn't annoy neighbors in nearby houses? :confused:

I bought 2" Johns-Manville rigid fiberglass. Same thing as 703 only specs out slightly better.

To cover, I bought inexpensive un-bleached muslin. My Auralex is charcoal/burgandy. I found a lady in Arizona who is cutting and tie-dyeing my muslin. Instead of the typical "round" tie-dye, she's doing it in "stripes". I think it's going to look nice.

Just my 2¢...

Bump.

I just checked the prices in Philly. $1.12 per sq. ft., 48 sq. ft. in a bundle. That comes out to about $55 a bundle.

I think I'm going to get one.

Since I'll have 6 sheets of this 2" thick stuff... would I be best off doing bass traps on the front two corners of my room with one sheet each, a bass trap at the corner of the ceiling in front and in back of me, and a floating thingy over top of me? Or would it be better to do a bass trap alll the way up the wall in the corner in front and then the floaty thing over top of me?

I dunno. My room is 15' X 13' X 8' high. Its all drywall with a carpeted floor. On the wall behind me.. there are two windows, which happen to be too close to the wall to do bass traps there. Grr. On the wall to my left, all the way back towards the rear wall.. there is a door. Another reason I can't do bass traps there. Grrrr.

So.. any suggestions?

pdlstl said:
I bought 2" Johns-Manville rigid fiberglass. Same thing as 703 only specs out slightly better.

If you go to the JohnsManville website www.jm.com you can find a retailer using the "Where to buy" link. Their 703/5 type product is under "HVAC" on the search page. I found a semi-local dealer in my area that I'll be contacting tomorrow for 2" stuff. The quote I got today was $92 for 6 2" 705-FSK panels, or $1.92 per sq/ft, from the local cash-and-carry. At least they knew what I was talking about....

Spi can get pretty pricey. I live in WA and went to R-Factor in Tacoma instead. They have everything and their prices are reasonable. I went with 4" Roxul Rockwool at .71/ft. Very affordable stuff!!!

PS Look for fabric at Wal-Mart. They ALWAYS have a $1/yard section. For twenty bucks I got a cool charcoal loose weave for ALL the panels I'm building.

tomleblanc said:
how much do they charge? Since they're national I figure it'd be relatively constant from store to store. For those of you who've already bought it from SPI, how much did it cost?
I called one of the local guys here (not SPI) and they sell a bundle, a packet or whatever it's called came out to 124.80 or $125 anyway either the 1" or the 2" thinck panels were the same. Anyway the 1" was about $0.65 a square foot and the 2" was about $1.30 a square foot. They both came out to the same price. $125 bucks for 12 - 2" thick sheets of 2x4 or 24 - 1" thick sheets of 2x4 rigid fiberglass is not bad at all.

Consider what Auralex bass traps go for. You could make 6 bass traps with $125 + fabric if you like to have fabric.

Now this is near and dear to what i do for a living. which is to install this fiberglass and mineral wool on hvac systems.
The cheapest thing for sound is mineral wool. It is priced by the board foot. so you will find a bundle is the same price no matter what the thickness.
the standard is 8lb for mineral wool.
Knauf, manville make a fiberglass product. this is generally 3 lb but you can order 6lb. this will be about 2-3 times as much.

Either product needs to be installed behind the walls or in the studs. they are raw and itchy.
If anyone wants to order this stuff, search your local insulation distributors. SPI is on of the biggest but not always the best or cheapest.

Another option is to call a mechanical insulation contractor in your area. tell him you will buy his left overs for some change. you might find some leftovers.

Nateneal1966 said:
Either product needs to be installed behind the walls or in the studs.
So kinda useless if you want to make Bass Traps. The 703 is for no studs, no walls, just a frame and some felt covering the board. Hang it on the corner and viola, you got a Bass Trap.

Has anyone tried Dow Safetouch for acoustic absorption? Its a polyester insulation. I've been useing it around the house for insulating. It sure beats messing with fiberglass.

-josh

Back