flooring in basement studio

zzfdvz

is it possible to just lay hardwood floor down on a concrete slab, or will that act like a poorly contructed "floated floor" and just cause more problems? and for the record, since i know NOTHING about contruction methods, i do have a contractor doing all of my installs, so it would be properly done it if could be beneficial. thanks.

zzfdvz said:
is it possible to just lay hardwood floor down on a concrete slab, or will that act like a poorly contructed "floated floor" and just cause more problems? and for the record, since i know NOTHING about contruction methods, i do have a contractor doing all of my installs, so it would be properly done it if could be beneficial. thanks.

I would think so. I know linoleum is glued directly to the concrete, so I don't see why a wood laminate couldn't be. That will be a sweet floor.

Be sure to review www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Nope. Don't waste your money. If you want density for sound transmission/blockage/acoustics than go with an engineered wood floor.

Besides, solid wood on concrete is a bad idea for moisture/mold issues.

If you have any other questions, leeme know. Floors are my specialty :D

Pete

so by enginnered floor you're speaking of the stuff that's pretty much identical to hardwood floors, or are you talking about building a whole floated floor? a whole floated floor is not an option at all due to ceiling height restrictions and overall cost to make something dense enough to not resonate. also, i'm less concerned about the transmission loss as i am acoustics and astetics (let's face it, a studio with eye candy can pull in an extra client or two). i apoligize for being dumb, i've done my homework and have rod gervais's book, they just don't cover anything aside from doing nothing, or floating a floor when you're dealing with concrete slabs. thanks again.

The basement floor is already concrete going into dirt. Lots of dirt. There will be no transmission through the floor into anywhere else. Floating the floor for moisture is a different consideration.

If it were me I'd get some wood looking 12 x 12 tiles and just stick them down. Value City used to sell them really cheap, something like $10 a box.

moisture is the main consideration

I would think that engineered floors would tend to soak up more moisture-- like an old radio shack speaker left out in the rain-- like a sponge!

Cheap vinyl tile makes sense in a bsmt..

Joe

battleminnow said:
Nope. Don't waste your money. If you want density for sound transmission/blockage/acoustics than go with an engineered wood floor.

Pete

Check your local codes...he's got a point there. Also, in some area the soils are considered expansive and you may not want ridgid materials in direct contact with the concrete floor.

laminate flooring is going to want a foam padding and a moisture barrier. Laminate is not intended to be direct-glued to anything. I will agree that you aren't that concerned with sound transmission through a basement slab but moisture is a significant concern.

battleminnow said:

Pete
Bingo!!! Density kids!

Back