Floor standing speakers as second monitors?

pure.fusion

Hi all,

I've got some quality hifi gear coming to me. A stoke of luck. Stereo amp and floor standing speakers.

What's your advice on using these as second monitors, given that my current HS7's are set at ear height and are 1.8m (6ft) from the listening position.

My ears would have a clear view of them if I placed them next to the HS7s, which are on stands.

I realize the hifi setup won't be (as) reference as the HS7s

Thoughts?

I routinely listen to my mixes on HiFi speakers before I'm done. I've got a pair of Vandersteens in the bedroom, so I can burn a CDRW and throw it in the stereo system. They're pretty good at letting me know what it will sound like on a typical home system.

Yes, give them a go. Be nice to know the make and model of speakers and amp?

One point to be wary of...Active monitors have, or should have, protection built in to save them from excess levels. The hi fi speakers won't so be careful with potentially damaging sources such as bass guitar and screaming, distorted rock lead guitar.

Dave.

And following on from such witty repartee, yes, rig them up and try them out. Depending on the room you mix in {or even record in} it can be more than useful to have a stereo set up close by to gauge first listens. You soon get to know how your stuff will sound. And it's good to not have to keep running out to another room to burn a CD and get a listen.

It all depends on what we mean by "hi-fi" -- If we're talking "Hi-Fi" as in overhyped over equalized loudness-contour six-way tweeter array dual passive radiator $50 boxes from the HiFi shack, probably not.

If we're talking Hi-Fi as in high-fidelity (truth to the source), carefully designed systems that are meant to faithfully reproduce the signal, then by all means, go nuts. It's all I ever work on (even on the rare mixing occasion).

Are you talking live performance reinforcement or home recording? If the former, you might use them as side fills. If the latter, and your studio or control room has any significant depth, try placing on the opposite end of the room from your primary monitors. But, check to see if the sound quality is as good as the primary monitors: you don't want to ruin the sound you're hearing, especially in the control room.

TDinDC

I was using some nice speakers and stereo amp and it sounded great>
Then I put on my K240s and heard what it really sounded like coming out of the mixer>
Immediately adjusted the tone controls on the Stereo amp to match the head phones>
Then adjusted the tone controls on the Mixer to hear what the recorder will get>
Just a thought

Are you talking live performance reinforcement or home recording?

lol. Given that the OP said "What's your advice on using these as second monitors, given that my current HS7's are set at ear height and are 1.8m (6ft) from the listening position. My ears would have a clear view of them if I placed them next to the HS7s, which are on stands", it's hardly likely he would be using them for live performance.

Back