Floor covering--Tile or Wood

gatorhaus

My girlfriend and I were having a discussion on Flooring.

My earliest thoughts were covering my drum room floor with black and white vinyl tiles (sq ft) in a checker pattern. Maybe paint the walls (drywall) a greenish tint (she disagrees, doesn't think it will look good, I said black and white will go with anything)

Tonight we were in Lowes and they have parque wood flooring for the same price per sq ft ($1 usd) and I think it looks pretty good.

Question: What does everyone think of the black and white tile. Or should I stick with one color that will match the walls.

-OR-

Go with the wood flooring, and paint the walls whatever when I get to it.

Since cost between the two is the same, what would be the acoustic differences between the two.

-OR-

Any other ideas, (I have considered the rubber stuff also.)

Man,... this is the fun stuff...Now only if they did a segment on studios on HGTV..

Larry

BTW, John I was checking out Left Bank, that is the coolest Japanese Sun on the back control room wall, TRULY AWESOME!!

Personally, I think I would get tired of looking at the stark contrast of black and white.
Black and white doesn't go with anything except black or white. Then you want to paint the walls greenish? Hmmm, I think the GF is right.

You say you found some wood parque tiles? Are they sort of "natural" in color? Now those would go with anything!

Get yourself a color wheel. It will show you complementary and contrasting colors.
Warm colors, like red's and oranges, sometimes yellows and shades there of, tend to have a relaxing effect.
Cool colors, like blues, purples, greens (although green is kind of transistionary) tend to have a more inspiring effect.

What I would do, (and am planning on in my new space) is to go with the flooring that's kind of natural or buff in color, and have the walls painted a royal blue color, then "rag roll" a lighter blue over that, just to break up the mono-tone, and accent with some purple. I've seen this done in studios before and it looks friggin' awesome! Add some carefully placed accent lighting, and you've got a vibe sure to inspire any musician.

gatorhaus said:

Go with the wood flooring, and paint the walls whatever when I get to it.

Since cost between the two is the same, what would be the acoustic differences between the two.

I've seen lots of studios with wood floors, and none with tile (not that they don't exist, I just haven't seen them). I'm guessing the reflections from a wood floor would be smoother and more natural sounding, but thats just a guess.

-lee-

Its a matter of budget really - I've worked in studios with vinyl tiles and wood tiles. Both work.

Yeah I was pleased with the Japanese sun also gatorhaus, Thanks :):)

cheers
john

Back