Fish Eyes, Fish Eyes, Roly Poly...

Obi-Wan zenabI

What do you all think about using a big fish eye mirror-- or several- at the back of my one room 19'x30'x7'2"rehearsal space/ studio?

The mix position is close-ish to the front wall, firing long ways. Bookshelves on sides, 18 2" 703 panels, mostly around the front so far. (not all the 703 is hung yet.) There is still some flutter echo, and I'll be hanging a cloud over the mix position and trying to tame the echo by movign panels around.

I think it would have some diffusion characteristics and look nifty, while keeping the room live for rehearsal and keeping the life in the recordings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/26-Outdoor-Acry...ryZ71482QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not to be a downer but that little bit of change in depth isn't going to be effective an lower than a few thousand Hz. To me, the edge added to the sound by all that glass would be an absolute no-go in my book.

Bryan

I was thinking about the same thing with the shallow mirrors, but the half-domes would be a different matter, reflecting the sound in a wide variety of directions. it still gets you the problem with what to do with the large percentage of flat space around them.

Yes, I was thinking that I would surround it with 703 panels. The local sam ash sells some auralez individually, and I thought I'd do something fancy with it.

My back wall is 29 feet or so from my monitors, and 25 feet behind my mix position in a combination live room and recording studio. There is a 'half wall' in front of most of it along the stairs as they come up the back. So the thinking is to not put too much absorbtion on the back wall. Plus it's painted a nifty red, and I don't wanna cover it all up.

Too bad that dome is so expensive.

Back