First Reflection Absorbers On Stands Away From Wall?

DCMonkey

I'm in the process of planning out treatment for my reasonably large bedroom/studio (18Lx14Wx10H) and have an issue with positioning my first reflection absorbers. My desk is centered along the 14' wall. There is furniture and a window at the left FR point and bookshelves at the right. I was thinking of mounting the absorbers on stands but they would have to be postioned about 2' from the walls to be symmetrical (leaving them about 5' from the listening position on each side). Will they still be effective at this distance from the wall?

As long as the absorbers are still in the path of what would be your first reflection they will still be effective. The idea is to keep the reflections from coming back into your listening position, so as long as they take away that angle and are sufficient absorbers you should be fine. Even better, move the bookshelves to the back wall and you have an easy diffuser.

As long as the absorbers are still in the path of what would be your first reflection they will still be effective. The idea is to keep the reflections from coming back into your listening position, so as long as they take away that angle and are sufficient absorbers you should be fine.

Bingo!

Even better, move the bookshelves to the back wall and you have an easy diffuser.

Unfortunately, book shelves will not provide any considerable diffusion by any means! Check out the following article for an explanation of how diffusion works, including debunking the popular bookshelf or record shelf diffusor myth: Diffusion is a Wonderful Tool - by Jeff Hedback

There wouldn't be any room for the bookshelves on the back wall anyways. My bed is against that wall and there's some other stuff going on back there. But that will be the subject of another post once I sketch out my situation.

Thanks for the input.

Back