First Pics of my New Studio / Workshop

Just another "wow looks good" post. I said back on page 1 that I have a basement that's a future project. So far I have achieved nothing but rolling out some free remnant carpet. :rolleyes: I'm jealous. Looks great.

Packing drywall

Okay. Here it is, the finishing touches. Fitz, I hope you read this and respond. It is coming down to the audio booths, and I have left them unfinished for a reason. I am considering packing drywall in between the studs, and finishing them by doubling the drywall (the walls themselves). The reason for doing this is to add mass, as another member suggested I do. The questions are:

#1: Do I need to place a couple of layers in between the studs against the exterior wall, and finish with regular fiberglass insulation? .....or

#2: Pack drywall as tight as I can and forget the rigid pink stuff?

Oh, I have great news - yes I am tickled pink.... It rained the other day while I was working inside the building, and I DID NOT HEAR IT. Seems we padded the ceilng pretty good... THanks everyone!

Yeah, that really stinks about the whole window unit thing. I woud love to have central, and I may still if I can find a reasonable unit and I run the ductwork myself.

Fitz, I hope you read this and respond.
Here I is.:)

#1: Do I need to place a couple of layers in between the studs against the exterior wall, and finish with regular fiberglass insulation? .....or
Yes, and if you only used one layer of drywall on the control room side of the partition, you could do it there as well. REMEMBER TO CAULK AROUND ALL THE JOINTS.

I would even use two layers on the ceiling too....and what about the floor?:D

Couple of other things. What are you using for the door/Jamb? I would do this(see below, but it doesn't show the seals yet...no time right now.

Look at these for seals.
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/doorseals/adj_doorseals.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar98/articles/soundproofing.html

is.php

is.php

is.php

I'll be back.:)

Thanks Fitz- hey how does it feel to be needed and wanted :) I appreciate the response. That is what I will do then, that was where I was leaning because i thought packing it completely with drywall would not make for a good insulation value. As far as the control room side, it is double drywalled on BOTH sides- with the interior wall insulated.

I cannot tell you how excited I am about this project. Although if you look at the first post on 2/8/09, I thought I would have it done in a month. Boy was I wrong!!!

Also, due to the close proximity of the walls, I am considering implementing the pvc pipe and moving blanket thing to help with the whole comb filtering deal, as I am sure that will be an issue. Hey Fitz, what do you think about that moving blanket thing? I know the guy has been faithful to post and reply concerning the setup- hey- he may even reply to this thread! At this point i need to improvise on this du eto my lack of research b4 putting it together. At some point- I will add on to the unit and expand it and it will be on a concrete slab- guranteed. hindsight is alwas 2020 so i wont say what i think at this point.

you mentioned the floors, i will be installing 9" insulation underneath the building between the joists (? is that what they're called) - and it looks like that will be the best I can do at this point.

c-ya!

Update

Hey guys- I am again sorry for not posting in a while... We have done alot more work- the control room is almost completed minus some minor finishing. the pc room is completed, and all that is left are the booths. I will post pictures of the control room soon- we are very proud. thanks again for all your support!

Almost Done!

Howdy folks- well, the control room is complete and we are gathering materials for the booths today. I have no idea when they will be completed, but hopefully within a month. When you run out of money, you got to put things on hold! Thanks to our sweet bonus at my day job, I can finally complete this thing ONCE AND FOR ALL! I'll post some pics of what we have done, and get you all some before pics of the little closet I call an audio booth.

BTW Fitz, do you have any last minute suggestions on what I can do to the booth before we go at it? We doubled the drywall on the control room side, and are doubling the drywall all the way around on the inside of the booth. We are putting another piece of plywood over the existing plywood subfloor to add more mass, possibly use OSB, and will be putting carpet on the floor and the walls when it is completed to help quite things down (there is not much room inside). Drywall is packed in between the studs like you suggested. Underneath the building (if you remember it is one of those not-so portable buildings) we installed faced rigid fiberglass in between the floor joists, and even are going with the solid door like you suggested leading into the booth. The only thing I decided to do differently than my original plan was instead of having TWO 6 x 8 rooms, I decided to leave it all open for a 6 x 16 room. If I had it to do over again, I would have made it wider, but whats done is done... Finally, we are adding two sheets of 3/8 glass at dimensions 3' x 8', one being offset on the inner side (angle) Any new suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and I will post pics in a couple days on our progress!

More Pics

Here are the pics I have been promising, I just snapped a few - I know its a mess, but maybe you will get the idea! These are the ones of the control room- messy!!!

Attachments

• 100_4426.jpg
    100_4426.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_4427.jpg
    100_4427.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_4428.jpg
    100_4428.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_4429.jpg
    100_4429.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 149
Booth pics- Before

Booth pics as they stand now! We are going to knock out the middle door idea and make it one large room, if you can call it "large"...

Attachments

• 100_4430.jpg
    100_4430.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_4431.jpg
    100_4431.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_4433.jpg
    100_4433.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_4434.jpg
    100_4434.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 148
These are just for kicks...

These are of the PC and network room, which is my other job. I wanted to show you the other part of my building, not just the recording related0 it is an 8' x 16' "hallway" of pc and network gear. Note the aluminum workbench.. I love it!!!

Attachments

• 100_4435.jpg
    100_4435.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_4436.jpg
    100_4436.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_4437.jpg
    100_4437.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 148
Pre Booth Window Pics and more..

Here are some more pics pre window. Note that we knocked out the partition idea, and it is now a 6' x 16" recording hallway!! AAAHHH!!!

Attachments

• 100_4480.jpg
    100_4480.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_4484.jpg
    100_4484.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_4489.jpg
    100_4489.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_4490.jpg
    100_4490.jpg