First Home Studio - Advice needed

chdoom

Hi everyone!

I would like to get some feedback / advice on what I'm preparing to build. I want to build a vocal booth (that I would like to use sometime to record acoustic gtr, singer etc... So here's the plan:
Studio_Plan.jpg

I'm planning to build the booth where there's the wood floor... There's 2 wall already build that I would but another layer of drywall with greenglue between them.

double wall.PNG

For the 2 walls that I'm gonna build, I'm planning on doing double wall with 1 inch of air space between them.

I want to put in my 2 walls safe'n'sound roxul... I'm also planning to add windows and safe'n'sound doors. I'll add a air duct to my central air conditioning system.

What do you guys think of this? Is my planning ok? I'm forgetting something?

Thank you very much and any help will be greatly appreciated

D

Yes! I'm an audio engineer... So I need to record voice over with talents etc. So while they are doing their voice over, on my side there's music playing etc. I'm also recording some songwriter with their acoustic guitar...

Thx

You will need to acoustically treat the booth or it will sound very boxy. An acoustic guitar won't sound particularly good in such a small room.

Don't do it, build a nice sounding room and when they track, YOU use headphones. I've recently rebuilt my current studio to make two rooms into one, and it's so much better to record in. I have no need for my tracking sessions to take up one room while the singer was behind glass. Two bigger rooms is fine of course, but a small recording pace is horrible to sing or read in.

Yeah I get your point but there is couple concerns for me...First I don't want the client to have headphone when people doing their VO. I also have some constraint with air duct, wood beam etc. But you think a 3m x 2.5m room is too small for voice over? Thank for your help

To the fair, no, the room size is fine. With this kind ion project - I'd not buy ANY sound treatment till you can stand in the finished room and listen to it, test it with audio and then sort out any real problems that surface.

Yeah I get your point but there is couple concerns for me...First I don't want the client to have headphone when people doing their VO. I also have some constraint with air duct, wood beam etc. But you think a 3m x 2.5m room is too small for voice over? Thank for your help

That's about the size of the one I built. But what I find strange with your question is you say you are a sound engineer? But you are asking others about what you should already know.

No headphones? How will you communicate with the person in the booth?

That's about the size of the one I built. But what I find strange with your question is you say you are a sound engineer? But you are asking others about what you should already know.

No headphones? How will you communicate with the person in the booth?

Headphone for the talent sure...not for my client. Not sure about your question about your sound engineer...Sound Designer, mixing engineer is probably the term I've should used...English isn't my main language so sorry for that...But how does yours is sounding?

---------- Update ----------

Welcome to the site.

Don't forget the return air duct. If the VO booth is airtight, you won't get any flow.

Yep thanks!

Headphone for the talent sure...not for my client. Not sure about your question about your sound engineer...Sound Designer, mixing engineer is probably the term I've should used...English isn't my main language so sorry for that...But how does yours is sounding?

Ahh I see.....My apologize.

I would make your sound booth as large as you physically can or can afford. If will cost more money but be able to cope with everything it may need to.

Ahh I see.....My apologize.

I would make your sound booth as large as you physically can or can afford. If will cost more money but be able to cope with everything it may need to.

np at all! How does your booth sound? What acoustic treatment did you put in?

I built mine with plywood or what we call osb board. I used 100mm Rockwool sound insulation in the walls floor and ceiling. then I used osb boards on the inside and covered them with acoustic foam tiles and same on ceiling with carpet on the floor. I then made 100mm thick bass traps for each corner across at diagonals.

The correct door I could not get so I used a normal door and lined it with foam then used a blanket drawn across it when closed and sealed it in door frame as best I could. A bit of a unprofessional idea but it works.

Back