Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Finishing building basement - sound dampening

Thanks

Finishing building basement - sound dampening

Sign in to disable this ad
    I finished building my basement. The floors are Bamboo hardwood and the walls are sheetrock. The ceiling is 9' tall.

I am looking for ideas/design to dampen the echo in the room. I will probably get the acoustic foam from thefoamfactory.com but not sure which exact foam to get the placement of the foam.

Would appreciate any design ideas.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails studio-jpg  

Thanks
    omg, you got all that space for your music room? That's awesome.

Thanks
    No no no, not foam!

Foam does nothing for low and mid-low frequencies. It will reduce slap-back echo, but leave all the low stuff bouncing around causing mud in your mixes. You need full frequency trapping (sometimes called bass traps).
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    No no no, not foam!

Foam does nothing for low and mid-low frequencies. It will reduce slap-back echo, but leave all the low stuff bouncing around causing mud in your mixes. You need full frequency trapping (sometimes called bass traps).
    So bass traps in each corner and foam on the walls?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCide View Post
    So bass traps in each corner and foam on the walls?
    No, forget the foam for now! With proper placement of bass traps, you will also get rid of slap back echo. 4" thick or more or superchunks in the corners. 2" (OC 703 or OC705 or equal) in the points of first reflection and ceiling cloud over your mixing position. Back wall and side walls may need some 2", but as your room is quite long, the read wall may benefit from a diffusor.

Thanks
    No, forget the foam for now! With proper placement of bass traps, you will also get rid of slap back echo. 4" thick or more or superchunks in the corners. 2" (OC 703 or OC705 or equal) in the points of first reflection and ceiling cloud over your mixing position. Back wall and side walls may need some 2", but as your room is quite long, the read wall may benefit from a diffusor.
    You know where I can get pre-covered OC 703? Not looking to spend the time to covering them myself.

Thanks
    You know where I can get pre-covered OC 703? Not looking to spend the time to covering them myself.
    ATS Acoustic Panels

Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Sound Diffusers - GIK Acoustics

Thanks
    I went with GIK Acoustics,,, They gave me suggestions, and I worked within my budget. So I can actually improve a bit at a time, with reference and a plan.
    Send them a copy of your room info. You can create a free account and create and save your room using their Roomle page.

Here's my Roomle plan. Roomle Planner
    It doesn't show the 2 Bass Traps with their reflex technology behind me.
    Your room is similar to mine. Because of the space we actually will have a better go than most, dealing with lower frequencies.

My room has good translation, and can still be improved. I'm not using Acr2 or Sonarworks Reference 4, though I have them and their required mics. I use their mic(s) to set up, but used REW software.
    You'll want a decent omni-directional mic with its Calibration. Then just use your interface, level and response match the monitors, then grab some frequency graphs of your room. GIK can help you with this also I believe. They are really an all out, top service, in my opinion. They assess and discuss then gave me an update to my Roomle, using my prior purchased Treatments with new placements for this new house studio. I am adding as I go because it is larger. Using GOBO treatments we can put them anywhere needed at any time. I move the rear ones to record sometimes.
    I find in hindsight having GIK acoustics follow me from place to place invaluable. I learned quit a bit before contacting them to begin with a few years ago. So I felt very comfortable knowing they were giving the best of options. I spent about $900 on the old house studio treatment. 10'1" x 16' x 8'2" and it translated so well. Very comfortable listening position, not cramped and confining.
    THis new room is a little more lively, but a very good listening position with this setup. I was happy with the low end in this larger area, much more workable as I add Corner Traps... Working on the ceiling isolation a bit for now, but it's even rather workable for my situation. Nice surprise, because I thought this room would take a lot just to get started.

Have fun with it,,, It's free, informational and helpful, as well as there in the furture. Most of all it's a successful team to tame and tune a room for audio purposes.

Thanks
    Here's their Product page,,, Shop Acoustic Panels, Bass Traps, Diffusors - GIK Acoustics
    Check out the Bass Traps with FlexRange technology. The highs won't be the concern like the lower mid, lows will be. Even though we have all this room, still the lows need addressed.

If you are not familiar let me know, I can share all the info I kept and use.

Thanks
    What part of the planet do you call home?
    Nice space.

G

As for covering OC.
    If you can stick a pillow in a pillow case,you can stick some compressed fiberglass in a gunny sack.
    la-linen-combination-game-sets-burlapsack-1pk-natural-64_1000-jpg
    Last edited by sasquatch; 4 Weeks Ago at 14:59.

Thread Information