In a few weeks ...

bluesfordan

we're due to begin our residency at a new place to call home, the applications were filled out yesterday. I know it won't be optimal but my music room is also going to be my bedroom/office. At least it won't be as small as some of the mini-spaces we've looked at. I'll be packing my music room in the very near future. The situation as it stands is we'll be there through to January of 2021 with the lease. In the mean time a hunt for a house will commence.

I'll know more once my brother and I settle on who's getting which room. Regardless of which room I occupy, I doubt if I'll be able to employ the JBL 308s that I bought (still NIB). Even though it's an old mill building and supposedly has a reputation as being very well sound-proofed I'll have to find out.

Regardless of much else try to get the biggest room and if there is a choice one with the highest ceiling and fewest windows.

Then post the dimensions, L,W,H. and pref' a rough floor plan. Get down to your equivalent of B&Q and see if rockwool is on sale price!

Dave.

Didn't you just move not too long ago...?...maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else here.

probably somebody else. I was (until earlier this year) going to try different rooms in the house before it became imminent that we'd have to sell the house to cover my mother's care. Maybe that was it.

That sucks - another plus for our UK system. If you have money, you pay for your old age care. If you have no money, the Government pays. Nobody has to pay for a relatives care. My sister-in-law is in residential care - she's gone blind, lost feeling in her legs etc - she sold her house and the money is nearly gone. When it hits a few thousands, the Government start to pick up the bill. she still lost her house money, but is well cared for and not a burden on relatives. I feel for you.

That sucks - another plus for our UK system. If you have money, you pay for your old age care. If you have no money, the Government pays. Nobody has to pay for a relatives care. My sister-in-law is in residential care - she's gone blind, lost feeling in her legs etc - she sold her house and the money is nearly gone. When it hits a few thousands, the Government start to pick up the bill. she still lost her house money, but is well cared for and not a burden on relatives. I feel for you.

Didn't May get a limit fixed at £100,000 ?

(I can see this flying across to The Lounge!)

Dave.

probably somebody else. I was (until earlier this year) going to try different rooms in the house before it became imminent that we'd have to sell the house to cover my mother's care. Maybe that was it.

I do remember you getting the house...don't recall anything about your mother's care.

I had took care of my mother during her last several months. She was only bedridden the last 6 weeks before she died, but she did have some chronic issues with her heart and breathing.

Not looking to get into a deep discussion about healthcare or politics...but my Mom had a typical Medicare Advantage plan, which wasn't expensive, and it covered all her needs. She took a lot of meds, and mostly had tests done, but she did do a couple of hospital stays in recent years that were a week or so due to pneumonia, and she also had fallen (that was he last stay before I brought her up from FL to live with me).

I mean...I could have put her in a nursing home, but I saw no reason to, since I was willing to take care of her, and when she went under hospice care, that was all 100% covered by Medicare. I would only have put her in a home if she needed 24/7 medical attention.
That said...in the USA, I believe every state provides nursing home care for the elderly at no cost, which is covered under Medicare...the only catch is, if the person has property/money past a certain limit, the state can get at it to help defer the nursing home costs...but otherwise, it's no cost.

When it hits a few thousands, the Government start to pick up the bill. she still lost her house money, but is well cared for and not a burden on relatives. I feel for you.

It's pretty much the same here. The government picks up the bill for nursing care if the patient has no property/money.

Now, is someone needs some very extreme care and meds that are not typically covered...then yeah, there may be out-of-pocket costs involved if you desire that level of care.
Without knowing the care required by someone ( and no real need to get into it here)...it's hard to say who needs what, and who has to pay for it.
Not to mention, if a higher quality of nursing home care is desired (private run facilities)...then that will not be covered by Medicate, or maybe only a small portion will, and the rest is out-of-pocket.

Anyway...sorry about your situation. I know it's hard when you have a family member that needs medical care, and you want to do as much as possible for them.

we took care of her at home for 2 years until her dementia got so severe that she needed 24/7 nursing care.

That's must have been a hard road for you.
I know how difficult and stressful it was just for a couple of months when I was doing 24/7 care for my Mom....but for two years ...that's something I'm not sure I would have been able to do it on my own.

Best of luck to you...

There was a TV documentary a couple of weeks ago called "The dirty war on the NHS" and it showed in terrifying clarity the steps being taken by shady parts of government to dismantle our NHS and hand it over to private companies.

Most distressing was the once a year gathering of sick people in the states in a field where health professions give of their time and expertize to help people who have no other way to get treatment.

I fear greatly for my children and especially my grandsons.

Dave.

Back