Fairly large room to work with...some room questions.

TFunkadelic

So I've finally started working towards setting up a home recording studio. I have a large room to work with that I'd guess is around 25-30 feet wide by about 40-45 feet long. The cielings are about 9 feet high. The floors and walls are both cement, while the ceiling is wood (it's a large open basement). Is this room large enough not to need a considerable amount of treating or would it be wise to split the room up into smaller sections? The room will be used to record primarily jazz music. I was planning to build a small room for the recording equipment set up, and the rest could be used as recording space/performing space. Thanks.

www.johnlsayers.com

That's the site you want, the forums are invaluable. That space is enough to make an awesome home studio with a control room, a tracking room and a vocal iso booth.

However, there's a lot of info to learn, so please read as much as you can and ask specific questions about things that your not clear on.

I'm sure lots of people will be happy to help.

Cheers

> I was planning to build a small room for the recording equipment set up, and the rest could be used as recording space/performing space. <

I agree with the advice to read through John Sayers' forum. So I'll just say here that you do not want to make a small control room. The worst problems always occur in small rooms, which are especially prone to boominess and a badly skewed low frequency response. I'm sure you'll find my Acoustics FAQ useful too:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

--Ethan

Back