extreme newbie room question

Richard52

Hello all - This is my first post and visit to this site, and I'm already overwhelmed by the amount of info. I'm here because (for a variety of reasons) I plan to record my 2nd cd at home (acoustic singer/songwriter stuff). I have only temporary use of a small extra BR in our home. (temporary in the sense that I will not be doing any permanent studio construction per se, but might be using the space for quite awhile). Hardwood floor, two bare walls facing each other, and on the other two walls are a large window on one wall, and closet doors on the other. What inexpensive, easily removable treatment of surfaces should I consider? (Of course I have gear questions, too, but I'll post them in the proper forums). Thanks

Hi Richard52.........and welcome. Will there be ANY furniture in this room? What are the dimensions of the room? Is there currently an outside noise problem in that room? How loud can you be? Are there neighbors....etc? The volume at which you record is one element. I'm assuming your projects will be you and an acoustic guitar.......is that correct? How much of what you record will be via live mic and not direct? There's no way to know but I'd first just do a couple of test runs to see what you do and don't like about the space. You may or may not want a rug. And yes........you'll be asking LOTS of equipment questions for sure!!!

Yup....not against a rug but sometimes a room that's a BIT more "live" can be better than one that's too "dead". If he goes ahead and puts in a rug to start.......he may never realize that the room might be ok the way it is. I've heard some nice acoustic guitar recordings in hardwood floor rooms. Lots of variables to determine yet.

I use the most budget-friendly treatment of all: Mic gets stuck back in the closet, with coats or dresses hung on the doors, and I sing into the closet!

Back