Event 2020 BAS vs 2020 Non-Bas both powered

I use a pair of Event 20/20 BAS audio monitors.
The "BAS" of course, stands for "Bi-Amplified System", which means it has 2 intergral amplifers to drive the monitor. One amp drives the woffer, and one drives the tweeter.

I'm not sure, but I think the Bi-Amplified System helps eliminate crossover.
If money's no object between the two, I'd go with the BAS's, but I have never heard the non-BAS's.

Jak, first off I'll warn you that some people here get pretty irritated when you post the same question in several forums - it's a real time waster to chase threads from one forum to the next to see what's already been covered. You correctly posted this in the mixing forum, that should be the only place...

That said, the non-BAS version is a passive speaker with (as Michael mentioned) passive crossovers. It requires a power amp in order to be used, which raises the cost. The BAS versions use their own internal dual amplifiers, with an active crossover - all of which are designed to complement the particular drivers used in this particular speaker. It also means that you can run a line out from your mixer directly to the speakers, saving the cost and wiring of a separate amplifier.

Hope that helped... Steve

Add to that the fact that the crossover orders are different in the BAS version version the non-BAS...

BUT - I use the non-BAS version in my studio (and love them) because I already had a nice carver amp that I felt did a fine job at amplifying the signal.

So... *if* you have a power amp that sounds good and has plenty of power for the speakers, the non-BAS ones would suit you fine. *If* you don't have a power amp, I'd buy the BAS ones and get it out of the way in one fell swoop.

I wonder though if soffit mounting BAS versions causes issues with trapping heat in the soffit??

Velvet Elvis

Flush mounts don't need to be sealed, they only need about 4-5 woofer diameters in any direction - so you could vent them top and bottom. What you DON'T want to do is mount separate power amps BELOW the speakers so that the heat rises in front of the baffles. Convection currents can really screw up imaging... Steve

Interesting...

So if I was going to mount my power amp in the wall between the soffit mounted speakers, would I have the same issue?

Something like this:

LEFT...................................RIGHT
SPEAKER........................SPEAKER
................POWERAMP..................

Velvet Elvis

Back