Is this enough for sound absorption and diffusion?

If he puts a cloud on ceiling he loses another 4" which makes it 6'1" in height and with losing 8" in width and length because of panels on walls, he would have a room that he can touch all walls and a ceiling that is on his head. Don't know about you but I couldn't spend 30 secs in a place like that.
There are good broad-band panels (e.g., GIK Acoustics) that are only 2" thick. If you can source "Rockboard" from Roxul, you can make your own. These would be preferable (IMO) to bass traps for a vocal booth, especially now that we have ascertained the primary user is not a basso profundo...

There are good broad-band panels (e.g., GIK Acoustics) that are only 2" thick. If you can source "Rockboard" from Roxul, you can make your own. These would be preferable (IMO) to bass traps for a vocal booth, especially now that we have ascertained the primary user is not a basso profundo...

Yes I know that Rockwool is 50mm. I was allowing for same 2"/50mm behind panel as well.

I wouldn't even put any drywall on the inside.
This is actually the best answer afaik and I've heard it repeated by several folks who are well respected in the acoustics community. (Including [MENTION=23296]Massive Master[/MENTION] above) Assuming 2 x 4 stud framing, it's basically 4" of trapping on everything but the floor but takes up zero extra space. Both acoustically and ergonomically, it's just that much bigger, and will be a whole lot better. If it ends up too dead with all of that, then you could try to add some reflective or diffusive panels in strategic places, but I actually don't think you'd get anything useful in a room that small, especially a cube. About everybody says a room that small should just be completely dead, and you can't really have enough treatment.

Then again industry standard for voice over/voice acting does seem to be those tiny prefab booths, so I guess good enough is probably good enough.

Well, yeah, no drywall, but 3 weeks ago OP said "The room has already been built, so that part can't be changed." I took that to mean it was already walled.

What did you decide to do, [MENTION=175110]Dalton Lynne[/MENTION]?

Then tear off the drywall on the inside and stick it (probably new stuff) on the outside. That adds to the budget? Sorry. Shoulda done research before slapping the thing together.

Been thinking about this as that perforated board used to be everywhere in the old days but I havent seen it for years. Apparently it can still be purchased and its called pegboard now. They use it as a display board where you insert purpose made pegs into the holes to display items for sale etc.

So one way out would be to tear down the plasterboard/sheetrock and line with a suitable material cloth. Then you could fix or cover again with this perforated board. This would give a hard wall to fix things on and give the sound waves access to the insulation which would have a cover on to contain any loose fibres.

Shouldnt be expensive to do this but would solve the problem and take no extra space from what little she has?

No need for foam really and as its for voice, the insulation should take care of any bass sound. So no bass traps possibly?

Back