Electrical Hum

Cheeky Monkey

I've just been putting together a small (bedroom) studio in my home. I notice that some electric appliances create a hum when turned on. For example, I have two identical halogen lamps, one illuminating the keyboard, the other the mixer. Both lamps are on the same circuit, but one hums and the other doesn't (even if the non-humming one is off). I might've thought that perhaps the humming lamp is defective, but I've noticed this with some (not all) other electrical appliances in the house (e.g. I just bought a ventless electric fireplace for the master bedroom, and it's humming too. I don't know much about electrical. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Come to think of it, for a long time I've had a hum eminating from where the hydro connection braces to my house -- not at the meter at the ground floor, but at the top of the pole where the cables meet the house, on the wall outside the second floor bedroom that I'm now converting to my studio. Sometimes it hums, sometimes it doesn't, but when it does, it resonates in the bedroom. Given that my studio is entry-level, I doubt this hum will pose much of a problem when recording, or I can just wait until it stops doing it. On a few occasions over the years I've had both hydro workers and electricians at my house to troubleshoot, but they can't explain why this happens. They've changed the meter a few times, put some padding between where the cables connect to the house -- but nothing stops it. Surely this isn't normal??? Could it be an overall grounding issue? Where hydro workers and electricians have failed to solve it, I doubt anyone here can either, especially without actually hearing it. But who knows, some of you are pretty good at solving such things sight unseen. Thanks again for any advice.

Last edited:
I've heard that same type of hum your talking about on the pole but it causes not problems for me. its strang cause i can pin point it but theres nothing there at the wire. no splice or loop or anythink. I cant seem to figure why it make that noise right there at the pole.

Is this a mechanical hum that you can hear outside your system or one that is coming through the speakers? If through the speakers, is there a dimmer on the light that hums or just an on-off? It could be that. Otherwise, it's likely the transformer for the halogen.

Transformers hum. Motors and flourescent lighting loads put line noise and weird resonances on your power supply. Spikes from stuff like reefers or furnace fans going on can cause pops. The solenoid on my reefer water thing pops my speakers every time the kids get a fuckin glass of water.

I hate that reefer.

bpape said:
Is this a mechanical hum that you can hear outside your system or one that is coming through the speakers? If through the speakers, is there a dimmer on the light that hums or just an on-off? It could be that. Otherwise, it's likely the transformer for the halogen.
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

bpape, it's a mechanical hum outside the system. It's not coming through the monitors per se (although there is a slight hum when turning the momitors way up, but I believe this is normal).

c7sus, I know one context of "reefer" ;), but not how you're using it. Wuddya mean?

C7, for your "reefer madness" this should work; you'll need to kill the power to the outlet the reefer's plugged into, pull out the receptacle, and wire this across hot and neutral; you might also need one across hot to ground if the one doesn't fix it. These are small enough that if you are careful you can get them in the box with no modifications; you may need to put ring crimps on the snubber to keep the wires from working off the terminals when tightening the hot and neutral wires -

http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/newark/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=16F3704&N=0

Cheeky, the only thing I can think of that's not been mentioned is that your main power transformer (usually mounted on the power pole) may have a partially de-laminated core that's buzzing - this would vary with the load, so if there are more than one house on that feed you may be getting more hum when neighbors are using more power... Steve

Back