Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Drum set and a brick wall - reducing noise with a PARTIAL barrier/panel

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay. How about 0.38 at 125 Hz and 0.24 at 250 Hz then. Does that still suck? Is that significantly different from 0.01 and 0.02 respectively? Is it different by at least an order of magnitude?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    .. I suppose reading books and the subject for over 40 years and having built 4 studios I just don't know what I'm doing, you know we are only trying to help but I feel we are having the piss taken now.

Alan.
    And with that I'll offer to the OP these two. They are extremely relevant and were hugely useful to me.
    And don't expect them to be just a 'read and get it all in one pass.
    It's more like dive in and chip away to what seems relevant to your questions, rinse, repeat, add new questions..

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Studio-.../dp/0070213828

https://www.amazon.com/Build-Budget-...+Alton+Everest
    Last edited by mixsit; 1 Week Ago at 14:51.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spitzer View Post
    Okay. How about 0.38 at 125 Hz and 0.24 at 250 Hz then. Does that still suck? Is that significantly different from 0.01 and 0.02 respectively? Is it different by at least an order of magnitude?
    Not sure where you are getting your numbers. A piece of plywood mounted on a frame is goin g to act like a resonator box unless it's filled with something. A free-standing piece of plywood will just vibrate, transmitting much of the sound. Here's a good page of numbers: http://www.acoustic.ua/st/web_absorption_data_eng.pdf
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    And with that I'll offer to the OP these two. They are extremely relevant and were hugely useful to me.
    And don't expect them to be just a 'read and get it all in one pass.
    It's more like dive in and chip away to what seems relevant to your questions, rinse, repeat, add new questions..

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Studio-.../dp/0070213828

https://www.amazon.com/Build-Budget-...+Alton+Everest
    The second one I have owned for years and still have it, maybe an earlier edition but all relevant. Used it often even before I built my first studio to help with the bedroom acoustics and later the rented house lounge room acoustics.

I even used the theories to build a local community radio studio which is one of the best sounding radio studios around, we have live performers in there from time to time using only 2 or 3 distant mics (SM58's) and no eq or effects available.

Alan

Thanks
    Boy...what a car wreck of a thread!

Heck...for the two weeks spent asking a lot of questions and rejecting or misunderstanding most of the answers, while at the same time saying none of this was for any serious audio recording, and a willingness to accept failure on whatever homebrewed experiments were tried...

...the best thing would have been to just go ahead and do whatever seemed "right", even if it wasn't...and then experience the results first-hand instead of theorizing endlessly.

Well...have fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Boy...what a car wreck of a thread!
    #86 posts, all the advice and no closer to a solution

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    #86 posts, all the advice and no closer to a solution

Alan.
    What I find puzzling (and maybe it was explained somewhere in the 86 posts)...is 1.) how/why is sound penetrating a concrete wall...?...are there some transmission points that are not concrete...?....and 2.) why anyone would think that adding a thin layer of wood would really help that problem...???
    I mean, if the sound is going through the concrete...it would take a REALLY thick second wood wall w/insulation layer to improve the problem. If anything, just adding layers of sheetrock type material to the concrete, to increase the concrete density would be the better way for soundproofing...and once the desired amount was reached, then add the appropriate treatment to all that.
    Of course....that involves some serious work and material and cost, which apparently is not the desired path.

So I say, slap whatever seems "right"...and proceed with a "trial & error" approach. Those are always educational, and sometimes fun, even if they don't get you what you want. At least you find out what doesn't work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    What I find puzzling (and maybe it was explained somewhere in the 86 posts)...is 1.) how/why is sound penetrating a concrete wall...?...are there some transmission points that are not concrete...?....and 2.) why anyone would think that adding a thin layer of wood would really help that problem...???
    I mean, if the sound is going through the concrete...it would take a REALLY thick second wood wall w/insulation layer to improve the problem. If anything, just adding layers of sheetrock type material to the concrete, to increase the concrete density would be the better way for soundproofing...and once the desired amount was reached, then add the appropriate treatment to all that.
    Of course....that involves some serious work and material and cost, which apparently is not the desired path.

So I say, slap whatever seems "right"...and proceed with a "trial & error" approach. Those are always educational, and sometimes fun, even if they don't get you what you want. At least you find out what doesn't work.
    OP said he wanted to cut down transmission of sound AND ALSO cut down on the reflections (particularly cymbals) from the concrete wall - AND didn't want to cover the whole wall, but never gave a reason why on that.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your numbers. A piece of plywood mounted on a frame is goin g to act like a resonator box unless it's filled with something. A free-standing piece of plywood will just vibrate, transmitting much of the sound. Here's a good page of numbers: http://www.acoustic.ua/st/web_absorption_data_eng.pdf
    That is a good page.

I got my numbers from this page: Coefficient Chart . With respect, this is the third or fourth time I have pasted this link here and certain people (not you, mjb) have consistently ignored it and told me concrete and wood surfaces are equal. No one mentioned resonance in connection with that.

At the moment I'm actively trying not to explain anything about what I'm going to construct, since people would just go "Aa-HAAAH! You altered your plan again!". Just concerning materials, both of those charts seem to agree that most wood or wood products even, in almost any configuration absorb frequencies completely differently than plaster.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    OP said he wanted to cut down transmission of sound AND ALSO cut down on the reflections (particularly cymbals) from the concrete wall - AND didn't want to cover the whole wall, but never gave a reason why on that.
    I did actually give a reason for that, but it's buried somewhere in all this mess.

That btw has the priorities reversed.
    The central point was, always was: wood, not stone right next to the set on that particular wall. Because of the timbre of the reflection. Any other place, any other direction - no problem, there's more air and other surfaces, (that aren't... plaster, for example).

Any desired reduction in sound pressure level, I from the beginning expected to be very small.

Thread Information