Drum Risers

guinsu

Right now I am recording/practicing in my basement, with concrete walls and floors. Recently I had an incident with the washing machine so I was thinking of building risers for the drums and amps, just to be safe. I was considering using 2x4s, getting everything about 4in off the ground then covering the tops with plywood and carpet. I was curious how this will affect the sound of the instruments for recording, I don't want everything to get all boomy. I was also wondering if it would help keep sound from leaking out of the basement.

If you rest the 2x4's on something like Auralex U-boats, use HEAVY plywood for the top, and put moderately compressed rockwool between the joists before adding the top, it will keep the boom under control, and lessen the amount of flanking noise getting to the rest of the house.

However, to get a SERIOUS amount of isolation you would need to do a complete "room-in-a-room" for the drums, making it big enough to add some slat resonators/corner absorbers so it doesn't sound like crap... Steve

Back