DRC:digital room correction

pearldrum944

Anyone heard of this? I went to an AES seminar tonight on room acousitics, the speaker owns a company that does acousitcs for demo/project studios. He spoke of this free software that was developed by a college professor that measures the freq response of a room, makes a negative of it and through a lot of crazy math flattens out the acousitics of a small room by adjusting the audio frequency. Evidently you don't want to use it in full force when it is finished because it makes your acceptable listening area smaller, but when used moderately can make a huge difference. He has a lot of info to back it up as well...

http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/

Wow, good luck trying to open the file in windows though, the thing has 3 random extensions. I'm moving this weekend so will mess with it when I am in my new room.

That's pretty interesting about the difference in sound just a few inches away that they found. That's also what the speaker was saying in the seminar about using the software in full-force. I was not considering using it as a replacement for bass traps, but rather a way to smooth out a couple of the major problem frequencies in moderation like they suggest in the article.

Back