a door opening.

toadies

My studio has a door opening of 4'-4" by 6'-9" and i'm wanting to close it up. It is a rent house so I do not want to do anyting expensive. The landlord is real cool so i can mount anything on the wall i doubt he would care. i was thinking of something like heavy duty blankets and do like a shower curtian idea. Any cheap fixes you guys know of? I would like to try and block out noise from the other rooms as it will be a bedroom too eventually. But if not thats alright.

Thanks

Chris

toadies said:
My studio has a door opening of 4'-4" by 6'-9" and i'm wanting to close it up. It is a rent house so I do not want to do anyting expensive. The landlord is real cool so i can mount anything on the wall i doubt he would care. i was thinking of something like heavy duty blankets and do like a shower curtian idea. Any cheap fixes you guys know of? I would like to try and block out noise from the other rooms as it will be a bedroom too eventually. But if not thats alright.

Thanks

Chris

Blankets don't work too well for soundproofing. How about you just mount an exterior door in the frame? Should be around $200 or so, and you're gonna want a door on a bedroom eventually anyway.

Lets get real. That opening is a good 16" larger that a standard 36" door. With a jamb, you would have to frame in an opening at 38" wide, shim the jamb and fasten it, and sheetrock around it. As far as a quick, down and dirty soundproofing solution.....there isn't any. Either you do it right, or it doesn't work. Blankets are a joke. Put one over your head and stand in front of a radio.That should illustrate my point;) And actually, if the room itself isn't up to snuff, even a solid core door won't stop loud sounds. They just come through the walls. Although it will help lower the volume. Sooooooo, exactly what is it you are trying to isolate? :confused:
fitZ :)

i mainly want privacy. If it would turn in to a bedroom i don't want my roommates staring at me while getting ass from some girl.

Or when people come over they would see my bedroom with shit laying around everywhere.

So no blanket? even the mover blanket i hear much about?

toadies said:
So no blanket? even the mover blanket i hear much about?

It'll cut some high frequencies, but that's about all. Throw a blanket over a cranked subwoofer and have a listen.

Beyond the door opening, the wall itself will transmit a fair amount of sound too since it's just ordinary wall construction.

Two 24" doors?

Two smaller doors Hinged so that they meet in the middle, and attach a 1X3 board on one door to overlap the joint. Seal them up with weather stripping and you have a cheap soloution with little work.

DOM :p

Back