Door latches

andyg_prs

Hi,

I have side-hinged wooden garage doors that are soundproofed for my studio. I put a weather strip on the other day to protect from the elements - just a piece of wood on the vertical edge of the door that's used for access that overlaps the door that stays closed.

The doors already have rubber seals in the frames and a rubber bead along the vertical length of the side of the door that closes.

Whereas before I could slam the door closed, now there is a sound like closing a fridge door (like air being compressed) and the door doesn't fully close. It stays about 7mm open at the top. I can kick it closed at the bottom. Now the weather strip doesn't get as far as touching the closed door so it is not interfering.

I can only imagine that the simultaneous force of air leaving the studio as the door closes (it is 26cm thick) and the weather strip resisting that outward air movement and/or the weather seal trying to push air the other way is causing this effect.

Now, I could just remove the weather strip, but that would be admitting defeat.

Is there some kind of latch that I could put on the closed door that can squeeze on the part closed access door to push it shut? I'm visualising something with a rubber cam / wheel that could roll and push as it is locked into place....

Hope at least some of that makes sense!

Cheers,
Andy

If your never to use the garage door again to bring cars in then do away with the garage door and frame it in to close it off, possibly putting in a regular door while your at it.

That's the issue unfortunately, planning regs mean that you have to be able to get a car in there....otherwise I would've bricked up the entry and left width for a single double glazed door, with two single glazed doors one opening in, one opening out... As it is, my current solution is doing well on the soundproof front - I have a second layer of insulation....a false hinged wall and a a single door in it.....between the two, the soundproofing is pretty good.... I just need to get the door to close properly.

Back