View Poll Results: Do you leave your gear set up? Or do you set up/tear down each session?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I leave it set up all the time

13 86.67%
  • I have to put away my toys when I'm done playing

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you leave your gear set up all the time, or do you set up/tear down every session?

Thanks

Do you leave your gear set up all the time, or do you set up/tear down every session?

Sign in to disable this ad
    My desk and monitors are "permanent", as is the location of my guitar amp. Everything else has to be "put away" each time I pull it out to record - mic stands, some of the instruments, all the cabling, even my computer (a laptop) and DAW (since I have to clear off the desk and use my company-supplied laptop to do work).

Honestly, it's all kind of a pain. Obviously not as much of a pain as schlepping the gear to play out live. But still a pain, and gives me a reason (or more likely, a poor excuse) to not record as often as I'd like.

I'm curious to know how everybody else manages their gear and space.

Thanks
    It's not multi use, but the room is dinky and I pull out what fits and go with that as long as possible : ) Guitar amps are small and I got to get a new one in there somehow and see how it MICs, etc.. So, I will have to put all the synths away. So, I voted setup

Thanks
    Everything is set up. I can be recording in the time it takes the tubes to warm up.

Thanks
    Multipurpose room AND small. Computer, interface, monitors headphones are all in place, but everything else needs to be pulled out and set up. PITA but it encourages me to do proper tracks (not just rush through a quick one) when I do set up to record - I'll spend no less than an hour.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Thermal cycling is what ages electronics more than almost anything. So when I'm just practicing or working up songs, I only power up what I need. Just a few modules.
    But when I'm tracking and such, I leave everything on, sometimes for months.
    I have a couple computers, but at lest one computer never goes off. Never.

Ponder5

Thanks
    My recording gear is always on. Computer stays on all the time. I like being able to get something recorded without having to go through a setting up ritual.

Thanks
    I converted what used to be a tool room and one of our old lobster coolers....yes, live lobster, into a 2 room project studio. Everything gets to stay set up. The control is about 10'6" X 13' with open rafters and the ceiling rocked up to the peak, while the live room is 13' X 16' with drums, bass, and 2 guitar stations ready to go. Ceiling in that room is just under 10'.

I leave everything on in chillier and wetter weather but will turn it off when its warm and dry. The heater warms the place up pretty quickly when necessary.
    Sountracs Topaz Miami-Vice 24/8 ---> Tascam DA-88s. No computers allowed.

Thanks
    Guitars hang on the wall within reach. Interface is one switch from being turned on. All cabling is in place. I change out mics depending on if I'm recording vocals or acoustic (or, nowadays, trumpet or sax).

Thanks
    Generally keep everything set up, except for microphones. I put those away for obvious reasons. Everything else, stands, cables stays.
    Wow, now I feel really stupid. Thanks.

Thanks
    My desk is 6x4 foot. There's a lot of weight on there. The desk is there to be a work bench, not a platform for writing letters and paying bills. One thing I use that may help some people are those folding wood TV stands. Where I am, right now, this computer tower system is on two stands. They're good enough for 70-pound tape decks and the like.

Extending my desk with a stand. It's deep enough that a Laney Cub 10 can sit sideways with room for a desk MIC stand and a pedal or two,
    Last edited by garww; 01-24-2017 at 07:44.

Thread Information