Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Do I have the right acoustic panels?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I was just given 3 monitors, having the tv bust on me was not a bad thing at all so it seems, or I would never have asked a friend of mine. 2 matching pair, just need to get a hdmi adapter to run 2monitors out and I'm good to go again, saved me a ton of money, really good of him. saved my ass. Not sure where to use the 3rd, but I'm sure it will get used somewhere.

I was thinking of cutting those triangles, i will do exactly that but thinking it might be worthwhile cutting a couple of inches off of the corner of the insulation that would sit into the corner for a bigger air gap and also it will give me a bit of an area that I can pull the fabric over tighter and leave and if there is any excess it should not get in the way. plus that air gap might help a bit with the bass trap?

I am really looking forward to building these traps and panels though. I am hoping it will even improve the sound of my close mic recordings as they do sound generally muddy/boomy and I usually have to multiband compress 150-250 band, or 100-200 depending. I am not sure if that is normal to do and I invested in a nice guitar that warren huart uses on most of his recordings howadays so I can't blame the guitar anymore! i will find out in a week or so. Unfortunately I do not have many spare days over the next couple of weeks but over christmas I am just going to be sitting in the studio everyday/all day while everyone else is celebrating.

I am not sure what I am going to do with my guitar amps yet. it may be that I shove them in a closet also. But I do not know of the pro's and cons of this yet.

I am probably going to build a desk at some point, or buy one. I can slope the desk to avoid those early reflections from the speakers, it might help a bit. I am unhappy with how far my monitors are spaced also, if I were to sit in the equillateral triangle I would have to push my chair back like 6-12" and it would be far too uncomfortable to work for long periods of time, and that is already taking into account the point of the triangle being behind my head.

rambled a bit. just got home from work and set up a monitor and juggled a bunch of wiring around to make everthing fit again. I'm done........ no energy left. time to rest.

Cheers!

(I got given one of those trackball things also... that's pretty fun, not sure if I will get on with it inside the daw though)

edit: ah, my macbook pro can run all 3 monitors. this could work really well, I can also angle the 2 outer monitors in to avoid more reflections and then have playlist/mixer/piano roll on each dedicated monitor. This should improve the look of studio somewhat also. And indirectly help with my RFZ, every cloud has a silver lining and all that.
    Last edited by JamEZmusic; 12-01-2020 at 13:53.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JamEZmusic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am not claiming to know what I talk about but everywhere I've read online states to leave a gap. the guy who sold it to me told me to do this and on the packaging of the RW3 it says also to leave a minimum of 10mm gap. There seems to be something to be said for leaving a gap, maybe it has something to do with velocity? It maybe interrupts the momentum of the sound waves? I have literally no idea but I wish leaving an air gap was not the case because those panels are already sticking out 4inches. But to be safe i will.

Thanks
    My monitor that died was the last of my dual-monitor setup. Now I have a single 32" 1440p monitor. It's different but I'm used to it now. Three screens is going to be like some sort of musical battle station!

I went in the back and measured. When I put the bass trap triangles in, I just kind of visually set them off from the wall. They're anywhere between an inch and a half and 2 inches off the walls.

Thread Information