Damping a wall heater

I would beware of any company that markets foam as soundproof, no matter how attractive their pricing.

Thanks, but I just linked to a type of product possibly to damp the sheet metal heater, and not concerned about soundproofing.

The heater rings @ +5khz. Any suggestions?

T

Thanks, but I just linked to a type of product possibly to damp the sheet metal heater, and not concerned about soundproofing.

The heater rings @ +5khz. Any suggestions?

T

Is it the heater or the grille? If it's the grille, remove it if possible. I wouldn't put anything in front of it if it is still an active unit. Big fire hazard, imho.

I suppose it is the grill - the corrugated type front face, as the inner part has foil type thin insulation.

Right , I don't plan to use it covered. It is a rented place, so I don't want to hapazardly remove the grille/face.

I'll see if I can post a pic.

T

If it's not in use, I imagine you could just duct tape something to it to try and dampen the vibrations.

When I sweep a sine wave @ 80dbs, the grill /cover rings from 5khz and above.

T

What happens when you actually play music @ realistic levels in the room? Do you still hear it? If not, leave it alone. If still a problem, removing the grille looks like it would be simple enough to do. Just save all the hardware so you can re-install it when it becomes necessary. If you don't want to do that, unhook it from its power source. With luck, it's on a dedicated breaker or fuse. Once you are assured it won't accidentally get turned on, put some foam on the front and sides.

I usually mix @ 80dbs or so, and the ringing can be heard if I get closer to the heater like for a snare etc. Not sure if it will mess with mixing decision-just moved, so hadn't had any projects as of yet.

I'll have to see if the grill is removable, foam or some heavy fabric may do the trick to dampen it.

Thanks

T

I had a similar problem with an electric wall heater. It was quite noisy as a result of thermal expansion and contraction while operating.

I used a silicone friction tape between all the mechanical joints that would separate. I used to use this stuff when I worked in the metallurgical field (many years ago). I used this tape around on the fittings of induction coils that heated crucibles so I knew it would be no problem for use near the resistive heating element. I would check McMaster-Carr or search high temp silicone friction tape. For example http://www.adlinsulflex.com/heat-resistant-tapes

folkcafe blog/

Back