Custom DIY patch panel for small home studio?

pure.fusion

Hi all,

Tiny studio in terms of gear but still there's cables, equipment and mess everywhere.
Best option for me is to build a small studio cab on wheels to house everything scattered around me. (audio interface, headphone amp, Compressor, guitar pedals, DI box. Guitar and bass amps are near by)

The cabinet will happen regardless but I like the idea of having a have a 1RU patch panel with less than a dozen varying connectors - XLR, TRS, TR. This would work for me and how I use a studio.

I'm totally new to rack stuff in terms of the connectors and the panels.

I don't see many people doing/selling a custom 1RU blank panel to allow for the mix of connectors. Drilling and cutting a blank one sounds dodgy, but I could go there.

Budget *low*. Any thoughts or experience here?

Thanks

Most people just use a patchbay when trying to simplify their rack gear connection...then you don't need to have a variety of connectors on some custom built panel. :)

You can get a 1RU patchbay that would give you 24 or 48 or even 96 patch points (aka connector points)...though for the 96 points, you would need to go with a TT/Bantam patchbay...but I think you can do typical 1/4" TRS patchbay up to 48 points.
So then all those different connectors are terminated at the back of the patch bay...either with a punch tool or just basic solder type (mine are all soldered) and then in the front you just use 1/4" TRS patch cables (or TT/Bantam if you go that route).

Back