Could YOU convert this bedroom to home studio? If so, how?

fazeka

Hello,

I am a newbie. I have recorded some projects in the past at my friend's home studio in the early 1990s. I have my own house now and have only one smallish bedroom I can devote to my music. Basically "one-man band" singer-songwriter-rock stuff. FWIW, I plan to get an Alesis HD24 as my recorder.

I was hoping I could do something with the attached layout. I am not expecting an anechoic chamber by any means. ;) I just want to make some half-way decent sounding recordings. I was planning to put in some treatment such as rigid fiberglass, but am not really sure I know what I am doing and I need some advice given the space.

How would YOU treat this room? I have some money to spend, but not a whole lot. If I had a lot, I would simply add on an addition to my house and build a home studio from the ground up. :p I am thinking I can spend ~ $1k to $2k for room treatment.

Or if the room is simply not adequate at all for any type of recording, maybe I should just give up my dream? :(

Attachments

• room.doc
    23 KB · Views: 136
fazeka said:
I was hoping I could do something with the attached layout. I am not expecting an anechoic chamber by any means. ;) I just want to make some half-way decent sounding recordings. I was planning to put in some treatment such as rigid fiberglass, but am not really sure I know what I am doing and I need some advice given the space.

How would YOU treat this room? I have some money to spend, but not a whole lot. If I had a lot, I would simply add on an addition to my house and build a home studio from the ground up. :p I am thinking I can spend ~ $1k to $2k for room treatment.

First off I assuming you just need treatment and isolation is not important.

OK, you don't want an anechoic chamber. That would actually sound rather disturbing.

$1K is plenty. Score yourself some 4" and 2" rigid fiberglass. Cut the 4" stuff down to 1' wide and hang in all corners, including wall/ceiling corners. Hang a 2x4 2" sheet on each wall like it's a picture. Get some thick curtains over the windows.

That should cost way, way, less than $1K and make a pretty big difference.

Then just find a symmetrical mix position to mount your monitors, symmetrical in terms of both the room dimensions and the treatment on the walls. You could probably do that on the wall with the door.

Fazeka,

> How would YOU treat this room? <

I agree with MSHilarious that you do not want to make the room totally dead. That's a small room, so you do need a fair amount of absorption on the walls because the walls are all so close. And the nearly square shape means you also need substantial bass trapping. But you don't want to cover all the surfaces either.

For a good overview of what's needed, see the Acoustics FAQ here:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

--Ethan

Wow, lots to read. :eek: OK, I will get educated and then come back here for questions, if necessary.

Thanks much!

Fazeka,

> Wow, lots to read. :eek: <

Yeah, but only 1/10th as much to read as a text book on acoustics. And of course it's free. :D

--Ethan

mshilarious said:
$1K is plenty. Score yourself some 4" and 2" rigid fiberglass. Cut the 4" stuff down to 1' wide and hang in all corners, including wall/ceiling corners. Hang a 2x4 2" sheet on each wall like it's a picture. Get some thick curtains over the windows.

Where the hell do you get this fiberglass? When I ask for high-density fiberglass I either get dumb looks or, "No, we don't carry that." A construction friend of mine doesn't even know where to get it. It's making me angry, very angry indeed.

Owens Corning 703. I think it's available at Lowe's or other building supply companies. Check the Owens Corning website for availability in your zip code. :D

For the most part the home improvement stores do not carry semi-rigid fiberglass or rock wool. You generally have to go to an insulation supplier. Where do you live?

nroberts said:
Where the hell do you get this fiberglass? When I ask for high-density fiberglass I either get dumb looks or, "No, we don't carry that." A construction friend of mine doesn't even know where to get it. It's making me angry, very angry indeed.

me too, but when i ask people at hd or lowes they look at me, like i'm stupid. like what the fuck is this kid talking about. bastards

Back