Corner Traps? 12"W x 8' Tall vs. 24"W x 4' Tall???

Nate74

HR4FREBR
I'm moving into a new room and will be rebuilding my existing bass traps for the new space. My new room isn't as large as my last room so I'm looking for ways to minimize the amount of space my traps take up and one thought I've had is that instead of using my current 4"x2'x4' traps in the corners of the room, what if I rebuilt them to be 4" thick, but 1' wide and 8' tall? They'd have the same mass of 703 in them but wouldn't be as far from the corner. Does the extra height offset the decrease in volume behind the traps?

Yeah, I'd love to, and building more traps isn't the issue as I have more than enough materials to do whatever I want. What I'm asking though is does a 1' wide trap with a height of 8' have the same effectiveness as a 2' wide trap that's only 4' tall. Obviously if both options are 4" thick, the traps themselves have the same internal volumes, but the difference in the volumes behind them is significantly different.

Plus with 4' tall traps mounted 3' off the floor, i have some floor storage under them. If I went floor to ceiling, that obviously goes away. And given the size of my room 2' wide, floor to ceiling traps just aren't practical as I'd be losing a lot of storage space.

Just keep in mind that in a *smaller* space, you need *more* trapping per cubic foot.

Closets for example... They work on TV, but in real life, you'd need so much trapping that you wouldn't have room for the microphone.

I'd try to figure out an alternate storage plan...

Back