That cool studio tape they make...

Sagar

Hi Guys.

You know that cool stickie tape that 3com makes? I've seen it in every major studio I've visited. Engineers often use it to tape across the mixer right below the faders. They can then write-in what each channel is-- guitar, bass, or whatever.

So far, I've been using masking tape, but the results are less than satisfying-- it leaves a bit of a sticky film after you've removed it.

Does anyone know where I can get the good tape? It doesn't leave any kind of residue. I've checked a few office supply stores, and even 3com's website, but to no avail.

Thanks for your help!!

Are you sure it's 3Com? 3Com makes computer parts and stuff like that...are you thinking of 3M? Cause 3M makes tape and plastics and tons of other things.

Try masking tape for windows. The glue is made to not "burn in" when it gets hot, which normal masking tape does. Maybe it'll stick less to the console.

Doh!

Hi Guys.

El Barto-- you were right. I was looking at the wrong website. I tried the 3M site and found a ton of products. Not the one I was looking for yet, but at least I know where to look.

Ola-- thanks for the tip re: window tape. I will check some out at my hardware store today.

I'll keep looking on 3M's site and post the link when I've found it for those who may also be interested.

I use "gaffer tape" as it doesn't shed the glue, and is pretty hard wearing. It's available from FullCompass (and many other places...)

- Wil

Found It!

Here it is:

http://products.mmm.com/us/office/p...9geT1T4S9TCgvY78VJ5X1glL8QKKW4Hbl_LGusenglish

This is the tape I was looking for. Thanks for the tip re: gaffer tape, Wil. I will check that out as well. The tape I found on 3M's site is the kind they use in all of the major recording studios in L.A. They usually keep it in a heavy tape dispenser so they can roll out long strips to place on the mixer.

Now I've just got to find a Staples that carries it!

Thanks for all of your help, everyone. Grease is the word...

Painters will tell ya, even if you get the right tape, sometimes it will still leave a little sticky behind. Before you put the tape down, run the sticky side over part of your clothing, just hold it at both ends and sweep it arcoss. The tape will still stick, but most of the extra gooey stuff will be rubbed off and the lint and stuff from your clothes will make a nice little barrier where it needs to be. Doing this with regular masking tape makes it work nicer- even better than most "painters" tape I've tried. (umm that was a dumb sentence...)

Or better yet if theres an art supply store near you, go and pick up some drafting tape- the stuff isn't too cheap, but it kicks ass!

-jhe

Back