Control room wondow???

MartyMcFly

Alright a quick rundown for the "Studio" window that seperates the control room from the main recording room.
1...Plexiglass or Real Glass?
2...Single Pane or Double Pane?
3...Angled or "Not"
4...anything I forgot

Marty,

I have been researching this for the past two weeks and here is what I came up with. My answers are from this board and the usual Web references, and F. Alton Everest and Mike Shea's Books. After saying all that I have no real world knowledge on the subject, but hopefully if anything I say is wrong someone will point it out.

1) Real Glass, use laminated glass, which is two sheets of 1/8" laminated together, for a total of 1/4" thickness. The laminate has an added effect of dampening. Use different thicknesses for more effect isolation (i.e. 1/4" on the control room side, 3/8" on the tracking room side)

Now you can use plexglass but the density is about half of glass (mass is what helps in the sound isolation), so you would have to double the thickness of the plexiglass, I could not even find and 1/2" plexglass locally.

2) see above......AND use two sheets of laminate glass for a total of 4 sheets, with the largest air gap possible between the two sheets.

3) Acoustically speaking, no angle, The larger the air gap the better for sound isolation, BUT angling the glass does help with light reflections.

See this thread from a couple of days ago http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77767

Hope this helps
larry

I agree with gatorhaus for the most part. I think there's an acoustic benifit however small to angleing the glass too. I'd stay away from plexiglass altogether. In my room I used to pieces of patio door replacement glass, each one is two pieces of tempered glass sandwiched together with a small airspace between them, set at an angle in the frame. That's four pieces of glass total and three dead air spaces. It works very well.

Back