control room window

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crunch:
If you have two panes of glass you might want to mount one of them so that it is angled out from the other pane(about 30 degrees). This way any sound in the void between the panes decays into the wall wheras if they are mounted perpendicular to one another the sound will resonate longer and louder because the reflection has know where to go but back into the other pane of glass.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you hear this? Did you do this yourself and have success with it? What I've heard is this... Since glass is going to get more sound through than the rest of your wall, you should space the windows AS FAR APART AS POSSIBLE. I never really heard anything about angling one. If you could angle the window, that means that one side of the angled glass could be further away from the other piece of glass. Get what I'm saying? I'd like... I'd LOVE to hear from people who have put windows in their studio and what they did, as I am putting 3 windows in my studio and I'm nearing that part of construction.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Grey:
I never really heard anything about angling one. If you could angle the window, that means that one side of the angled glass could be further away from the other piece of glass. Get what I'm saying? I'd like... I'd LOVE to hear from people who have put windows in their studio and what they did, as I am putting 3 windows in my studio and I'm nearing that part of construction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was always told that Angling the Glass (and there is a specific Angle for each piece of glass, but I'm not sure what it is...) anyway, the reason that The glass being placed at angles has NOTHING to do with sound transmission-it's so that both parties can see each other though the window without the Glare of the lights in each room causing a "spot" on the glass.
Let me dig out one of my books on studios, and see if I can find the Angle. The book that I'm thinking of was printed in the late 80's or early 90's, and was the text from my Audio courses in college.

The way that you made the window was this:
You made the frame from 2"x8" or 2"x10" HARDWOOD (Like Mahogany or Oak).
You put a smaller board (say a 2x6 for the 2x8 window)in the middle on the inside. Then you Finish all this.
Then, you would glue Foam to the TOP of the board in the middle. You put a bead of silicone all the way around the edge of this piece of wood-and place your glass against it.
Then on the outside-you have a piece of wood that acts as a trim that fits against the glass-which screws into the Frame-and holds the glass in place from the outside.
This is done on every edge of the window.(Top, bottom, left, and right.

Tim

This is how we built the studio for the college I went to, we had two control rooms and two large rooms that that peered into the control rooms. The reason I gave was the the way I always understood the window situation or at least this is how it was explained in my theory of sound propagation class by my audio instructor. I hope he did not pack my head full of twisted ideas because I have enough of my own.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Brown:
I was always told that Angling the Glass (and there is a specific Angle for each piece of glass, but I'm not sure what it is...) anyway, the reason that The glass being placed at angles has NOTHING to do with sound transmission-it's so that both parties can see each other though the window without the Glare of the lights in each room causing a "spot" on the glass.
Let me dig out one of my books on studios, and see if I can find the Angle. The book that I'm thinking of was printed in the late 80's or early 90's, and was the text from my Audio courses in college.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether or not you think angling the glass has something to do with sound trasmision or not doesn't matter, if you angle a peice of glass that means that the bottom (or top, whatever side you have closer to the other peice) could be further away, thus creating more dead air space in between the two peices of glass.
The reflection thing still isn't enough proof to make me think I need to angle my windows. I am going to put studio foam in between the windows around each side to cut down the sound on the inside of the windows.
What I REALLY want to know is, will angling the two peices of glass REALLY make a difference in their effectivness as far as sound is concerned? I don't care much about light reflecting because even if you angle the glass you'll still see reflections if you're at the right angle to see them.

Angled control room windows look really cool and professional. That should be argument enough for anyone to angle their windows.

As for a "real" reason. I'm a firm believer in the less resonance reason.

/Ola

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ola:
Angled control room windows look really cool and professional. That should be argument enough for anyone to angle their windows.

As for a "real" reason. I'm a firm believer in the less resonance reason.

/Ola
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to agree with everything you just said.
So I take it you have built a recording studio of your own, and you record there?

Back