Control Room ~ Wall or Wall within Wall?

Dan S

Hi all- appreciate the info at this site & hoping to get some feedback.

Basement 11 x 12' Control/Sound room. For playing & recording acoustic guitar at all hours, and the offspring for lectric guitar, keyboard dubbing etc. Soundproofing is king.

I have taken measures with ducting, joist leakage & will treat with traps & diffusers. Genie clips are on the ceiling -ready to apply fibreglass batting in joists & double drywall.

Question is; 3 walls are foundation concrete. I was going to do a wall within wall, but wondered - do I give up much, if anything in soundproofing by just applying strapping to the walls & then drywall (no genie clips) as long as drywall isn't touching the ceiling, just acoustic caulk at the joint?

Kind thanks
Dan S

Dan,

Flanking paths will reduce the sound transmission loss of a good partition. What is the calculated STC rating of your ceiling construction? You must match that with the wall construction. - the foundation concrete will flank sound to the structure, so I would recommend the clips.

Cheers,
John

Thank you John-that helps, as well as your info on mass elsewhere- on quieting ducting.

STC rating is 53 and near as I can see Double drywall in wall spec given elsewhere are
close, or about equal as suggested. I thought of trying without clips on wall ( Can always add more drywall mass with green glue if not up to snuff) or does that turn it into somewhat of a drum with rigid hard walls & a floating ceiling?

Also- do you suggest redirecting ceiling heating ducts, or treating them? Seems a shame to leave a treated hole in the ceiling after all that work. I have one I was going to redirect -likely through a ceiling coffering (insulated & independant of celing drywall) which could also provide for creative downlighting.

Kind regards,
Dan

Dan,

Green glue does not add mass. It is a constrained layer damping material. In certain situations is does a great job.. in others, it does nothing but put holes in your pocket book.
A properly damped massive wall will not ring... it's resonant frequency should be below 10Hz (ideally) and this can be calculated: f(mam) = 60/[square root of (m X d)] where m is the mass per unit area of the drywall, kg/m2, and d is the distance from the drywall to the block or other surface in meters. Substitute 43 for the 60 for calculation with insulation in the cavity.

Ventilation ducting; Any holes in an otherwise isolated and sealed inclosure voids any of the benefits of that isolation. Therefore, you must isolate, baffle, and seal any wall penetrations. The ducting should also have a duct liner for internal damping and baffling for attenuation through the duct.
cheers,
- John

John,

Thanks much for the calculation & input on ducting. I don't expect to need extra drywall. While the rooms been a bit of a challenge (also has the e-panel & water main in it too) - it's been/is a real interesting learning experience.

Regards
Dan

Back