Confused about small rooms...

Ok... maybe someone can help me with this...

I was almost sure that the best advice for small rooms was "as absortion as possible"... (Mine is 4x2,4x2,2 mts)

I was ready to order my 2" panels, when i read some other thread where the guy put lots of panels, and it made the stereo image even worst! HF waves were gone and bass was a still there... :confused:

So, before spending my money... Should i go with 4" panels (+2" air gap) all over the room or should i combine some 4" with some 2"?
How can i know that i´m gonna been able to absorb bass but keeping the room live enough?

Thanks!

What size? 4.2x4.2x2(length x widht x height) meters??
IMperial 13.7' x13.7' x 6.4'?? Thank couldn't be right.

JuliánFernández said:
Ok... maybe someone can help me with this...

I was almost sure that the best advice for small rooms was "as absortion as possible"... (Mine is 4x2,4x2,2 mts)

Thanks!

JuliánFernández said:
He used 4' 703 panels! :eek:

That´s what most people use when talking about DIY bass traps...

i think a lot of people mistake broadband absorbers for bass traps. a piece of 703 is a broadband absorber and will absorb the high, mid, and low reflections. too much mid and high absorption will mess up a room's sound.

What I did to bring back some of the highs: I covered all corner traps 4" Roxul 45 pcf. with painters drop cloth type plastic sheeting I think it was .70 mil. and covered that with fabric. Also the same on some of my ceiling/wall corner panels also. I suppose they are considered bass traps, but are actually broaband absorbers, modded to work on the lower end. The denser the material the lower it goes to a degree. Or another way is to use fluffy but 3 or 4 thick. Since us HR's can't afford it, 703 or MW is a better deal space wise. Corner traps are not really "traps", I think its more of an expression an deasier to name than broadband absorbers. The corner panels are has better
absorbing characteristics due to straddling the corner- because it goes furthur into the room and closer to the 1/4 of wavelength peaks at lower freq's than say on a wall. Traps are more of a membrane deal like Ethans old design. Just make sure your corner panles are snug up against the walls.
My suggestions would be:
Start with just stacking the panels into corners and listen/measure. Keep adding until the low mids, and lows are decent. If it kills the high end, add some reflective material. Or you could take a 50/50 approach in making the corner panels w/ high end reflective covering. Then add more panels to taste.

The problem with extremely small room is that with reflective coverings on corner traps on the front wall(mix position) that its so close to the monitors, that you might get some unwanted reflection and loose the RFZ. You just need to find a compromise somewhere for your own usage.

Just my $.02.

EDIT: sometimes treating the room, makes it appear or sound as though its too dead. It takes some time to get used to the sound, somewhat like when you change monitors: you have to relearn the acoustics. Every time I make a acoustical tweak, I have to relearn the room.

T

Last edited:
Back