condensed fiberglass info/where to buy thread

I just checked prices

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I just checked the prices of this stuff at the link supplied and it's $1.04.44 per sq ft for the 3.5" thinner stuff. That seems a bit pricey, if i have a 12 X 8 wall, it'll cost me $100. If I do my ceiling and 4 walls we would be talking like $700. How much better at insulating sound is this compared to the cheaper standard fiberglass insulation?

standard fiberglass insulation will do almost nothing.
(sad but true)

That's not really true. Have you ever been in an apartment with uninsulated walls? Fiberglass insulation absorbs some sound. I bet it helps quite a bit actually. Maybe not as much as a really dense material, but it certainly absorbs more sound than just studs and drywall.

That's not really true. Have you ever been in an apartment with uninsulated walls? Fiberglass insulation absorbs some sound. I bet it helps quite a bit actually. Maybe not as much as a really dense material, but it certainly absorbs more sound than just studs and drywall.

k then, fill your hat with it if you want.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Roxul safe n sound can be purchased at Home Depot in Western Canada. I used the stuff to hang and line every wall in our rehersal space.

Also, just in case this hasn't been mentioned, there a video on youtube with steps on how to build bass traps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw

k then, fill your hat with it if you want.

Just so you know, what he's saying is true to a degree. Regular insulation does work for sound to attenuate sound. *On top* of drywall it doesn't do much at all, but *Inside* walls, it works as well as O.C or mineral wool making it a more cost effective way to isolate sound.

I finally found a place that sells the 703 locally (in BC Canada). They quoted me $1.41 a sf for 2 inch 703. So, I'm looking at about 300 bucks to build four traps (not superchunk of course) from floor to ceiling, with enough left over for the first reflection points left and right and some on the ceiling I think. is $1.41 resonable or over priced?

I finally found a place that sells the 703 locally (in BC Canada). They quoted me $1.41 a sf for 2 inch 703. So, I'm looking at about 300 bucks to build four traps (not superchunk of course) from floor to ceiling, with enough left over for the first reflection points left and right and some on the ceiling I think. is $1.41 resonable or over priced?

Well from what we've seen it looks to be about double what others can get it for.

But.. its also a supply and demand thing so if you feel like you can afford it and that its worth it, then go for it.

Yah that's what I was thinkin. Maybe I can look around for a cheaper Canadian wholesaler.

If anyone knows of one can you give me a shout? I don't mind ordering from the States but I'm not into paying duty.

Yah that's what I was thinkin. Maybe I can look around for a cheaper Canadian wholesaler.

If anyone knows of one can you give me a shout? I don't mind ordering from the States but I'm not into paying duty.

other materials with equivalent nr specks and can be much cheaper.

um.... let me see.

i think 703 was about 1.15 a square foot?
many equivalent products are much cheaper.

1260 2" (51mm) A 6.0 pcf (96 kg/m3)
0.25 0.85 1.15 1.10 1.04 1.06 1.05

that's what i got, for about .60 cents a square foot

by comparison
703, plain 2" (51mm) on wall 3.0 pcf (48 kg/m3)
0.17 0.86 1.14 1.07 1.02 0.98 1.00

unfaced 703 is about twice as expensive.

just an example. the stuff i bought is about 1/2 the price of 703 and has *slightly* better specks. it's not faced though.

and of course if you can't find it, then you cant buy it.

go back to the first link in the first post in this thread, it's the entire reason this thread exists really.

SPI is the main place people get their OC 703 at around the country. The one in Cincinnati is in Tri-County (kind of far considering I am in Northern KY - Florence area). I stocked up my last trip so I am good for now, but I will for sure check you guys out when I am in need again.

Do you have a website i can browse?

Peace ~

we dont sell insulation, we do recording systems and pro audio gear.
http://www.adkproaudio.com/

I cant find them in the directories and I'm wanting to get OC for myself. Do you know what SPI stands for? I'm extremely familiar with the princeton area, but dont know who they are.

Back