Clark Griswald builds a sound booth...a.k.a. HELP Please!!!

Glad you got something you can use.
That definitely sounds a lot more natural - While I was doing some surgery I kept referencing back to the original, checking if I was losing too much bass and making it too thin.
It's easy to lose perspective as you tweak, as I guess you know, but listening to your attached clip I think I was heading in the right direction.

lol - your clip reminds me of this.
Family Guy - Morgan Freeman - The Narrator [HD] - YouTube

Glad you got something you can use.
That definitely sounds a lot more natural - While I was doing some surgery I kept referencing back to the original, checking if I was losing too much bass and making it too thin.
It's easy to lose perspective as you tweak, as I guess you know, but listening to your attached clip I think I was heading in the right direction.

lol - your clip reminds me of this.
Family Guy - Morgan Freeman - The Narrator [HD] - YouTube

I suppose it does. ;) Thanks again for your help!

FWIW, tinkering around in Audition today, I realized the new recordings benefited greatly from a gentle high pass filter beginning around 200 hz. That seemed to brighten up the recording for better clarity.

I suppose it does. ;) Thanks again for your help!

FWIW, tinkering around in Audition today, I realized the new recordings benefited greatly from a gentle high pass filter beginning around 200 hz. That seemed to brighten up the recording for better clarity.

200 is a lot higher than I was prepared to go to but fair enough - You know what you want to hear, and how that ^ sounds.
Best of luck with it.

Using a HPF from 200Hz doesn't surprise me. I took your SM7b file and popped it into RightMark analyzer, and this is the frequency spectrum it spit out. There's a pretty big bump from around 50 to 125 Hz. The Rode file showed a similar bump. I don't know if that is due to the proximity effect or inherent in your voice (its pretty deep for a voice). Rolling that down would certainly even things out.

Craig Spectrum SM7b.png

Back