Cheap and Easy Desk Upgrade: 30 min. game changer!

Chris K

Hey y'all. Just thought I'd share a quick project from a while back that completely changed my little setup from cluttered and unorganized to neat and tidy in about 30 minutes. Like most newbs, I was tired of my huge mess of cables all over the place, tired of my speakers being way below head level, tired of my monitor screens being covered up by my laptop, etc., and tired of reaching behind both my speakers to find the on/off switch every time I wanted to listen with headphones...
Well, here's what I came up with to deal with the problems at hand. Just a few boards (dimensions will vary depending of your setup) nailed or screwed together to support the screens and speakers on top and a space on bottom to conceal the inevitable mess of cables. I have everything but the speakers plugged into a power strip in the "chamber" behind my laptop, and the speakers are routed to a power strip on top (with 4 screws around it to hold in place) with an on/off switch, so I can easily turn them on and off without reaching behind.
The whole thing just sits on top of my desk - plenty stable without needing to screw it down or anything. Now, I have much more room and much less mess! https://homerecording.com/bbs/images/icons/icon6.png

Note: For those of you who have a custom desk with all the toys....this probably won't help you. Hopefully, though, there's a bigginer like me out there that will get some inspiration out of this! If so, show us what you came up with.

A picture's worth 1,000 words...

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpg
    IMG_5226.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5229.jpg
    IMG_5229.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 10
Nice!

I don't give a shit what mine looks like really, but if it works...

I have cinder blocks with a plank on top behind my desk for monitors and whatever.

Attachments

• Smokey Studio.jpg
    Smokey Studio.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
I picked up rack "ears" and made my monitor/speaker bridge with 10 rack spaces out of two pieces of mdf vinyl covered shelving from home depot. Like twelve bucks .

Thanks guys. :)
[MENTION=57292]Chili[/MENTION] Lol - Just some rough-cut beach wood, I think. Rustic suits me fine. If I had that much money at my fingertips, I'd probably have a little bit more gear than you see in the pic...:eatpopcorn:

Nice to know I'm not the only one here who has come up with something along these lines!

Back