Caulk in the studio/music room

washingtonbc

Hello-

I building a music room/home studio, just like everyone else here. I'm wondering about caulking the studs, etc. Can I just use good quality regular caulk? The auralex acoustical sealant is way too expensive for me. Any brands you recommend? Can't I just use a real good quality homestore variety?

Thanks.

BC

Use one that is Butyl rubber based. Tests have confirmed that the only quality "acoustical caulk" has is long term flexibility. It doesn't provide any better seal than a cheaper product, as long as the cheaper product remains flexible. At least as far as transmission loss is concerned. It is HOW you use it and WHERE that is important. Sealing joints in multiple layers of drywall, at jambs, at floor/wall and wall ceiling intersections too. For scenarios where the depth of the joint is an issue, use a foam backer rod. Also, staggering the corner drywall joints and caulking before taping/texturing is important. However, let me state my disclaimer here. I'm no expert. :D If those who are find fault with my opinions, let er rip! ;)
fitZ :)

Back