Can a carpeted room be overcome?

DenverRob

Greetings,

Is if possible to get decent sound in a typical room with carpet and drywall without modifying the walls, ceiling and ripping up the carpet? For example if you were renting the place? Can panels and diffusors be effective? I know the carpet dulls the sound. I'd like a slightly live room; one with a small amount of natural reverb. Recording voice, acoustic and electric guitars, electric bass. Keyboards go direct into board so not an issue. If so, how does one know where to position the panels & diffusors, how many, how large, etc. if one is a musician and not an engineer? Am I asking the impossible? I just want to make decent demos; I'm not trying to compete with Daniel Lanois. :)

Thanks!

Is if possible to get decent sound in a typical room with carpet and drywall without modifying the walls, ceiling and ripping up the carpet?

Yes, it is. Using various things. For instance, on the floor, simply lay down 3/4"x4'x4' or 4'x8' panels of Plywood, MDF, or other solid material such as OSB. 2 or more sheets can be used under drums, amps, Vocal mic stands, etc. This way, they mobile, can be shifted easily, and can support Gobo's, which is another item that are easy to build. They can be reflective/diffusive on one face, and absorptive on the other, and you can mount them on wheels/casters too for mobility. There are many threads hear describing various construction methods. Just do a search. As far as walls/ceilings, hanging a patchwork of fabric covered rigid fiberglass is the usual method of choice for broadband absorption. And there are many ways to temporarily hang them without damaging existing surfaces. At least to an extent whereby you only have to use a little "spackle" and a dab of matching paint to repair small holes in the drywall. You might have to do a little planning as far as the panels themselves are concerned, to implement a given hanging strategy.

However, let me clarify something. There is a difference between treatment in a live room vs a control room. I don't have time to illustrate or describe the difference, but do yourself a favor... go to the REAL TRAPS site as they have an enormous amount of information already compiled.

RealTraps - Home

If so, how does one know where to position the panels & diffusors, how many, how large, etc. if one is a musician and not an engineer?
Like I said, you'll find out everything at the REAL TRAPS site.

It's easy to add some sparkle back into the room. You could even use plastic wrap on the floor to target a specific area.

Diffusers work best in larger rooms. Most of us here are just using broadband absorbers of one kind or another.

Throw down some plastic sheets that they have in offices under the roll around chairs to protect the carpet. That will help loose some of the carpet deadening.

Alan.

I'd think that plastic sheeting or office chair pads would be a PITA to deal with- I'd think they would be noisy when being walked on, and would not stay in place. Plywood/MDF could be cut to fit, so that the pieces meet at the seams and hold themselves in place, and the only noise would be shoe soles and heels- just have everyone take off their shoes or wear soft-soled footwear.

I'd think that plastic sheeting or office chair pads would be a PITA to deal with- I'd think they would be noisy when being walked on, and would not stay in place.

I am not talking about the budget thin ones you buy at the discount store, but the professional office ones. They are thicker and have a surface on the bottom full of sharp points that stop them sliding around. They do not make noise when walked on (well not more than wood) as the carpet under deadens the sound. I had a large one at the old studio where we had carpet in the control room but it was too dead, so we put a large plastic sheet across the whole room (we had it cut to size) under where the chair rolls around and it worked a treat.

However I also have no problem with laying down mdf as this works too, just a different look.

Alan.

You don't need to do anything expensive or permanent. A big roll of saran wrap will provide enough coverage and sparkle and you can just throw it away when you're done with the session. If you're going to the trouble to cut plywood or mdf, just put in a quality laminate flooring. I can't imagine the owner being upset with the visual upgrade if you ask nicely and do a pro job with installation.

I agree with Chronicle, on the floor, simply lay down 3/4"x4'x4' or 4'x8' panels of Plywood, MDF, or other solid material such as OSB. 2 or more sheets can be used under drums, amps, Vocal mic stands this will work and fiber glass to.

Cheers

Hey guys I have a good option if your room is not so attractive wall color are dry then you can make your room to look interesting. You can add various rugs like sisal rug or shag rug which will compliment your room and add some interesting color also.

Um, what?

You seriously need to think about actually paying for advertising. This crap aint gonna get you any business...

Goodbye. :)

Back