Cables & Cords & Plugs -- Oh My!

cincy_kid

So, if I am tracking in one room and mixing in the next, is there an easy way rto manage the cables and cords? Meaning, do I have to just buy REALLY long cables and have them run from my soundcard all the way back to the track room and plug into my mics? Seems like that would be hard to do as well as look crappy too.

What do most of you do? Is there an easier solution?

Thanks!

ahh, cool I have seent hem before and even plugged into them on stage in my old band but didn't know how they "worked" exactly. So it really just acts as an extension cord? You plug mic into female end of XLRs and then plug the male ends into the sound card or however my chain works?

By the way, with your cables in the wall, what if one goes bad? DO you have to tear down the wall? :D

Yup...Some have returns for additional flexibility. Use a few channels for mics, another for headset mix out, or single or buss outs...what ever...a big extension chord as you put it.

Good luck!

Well, firstly, they're in conduit so, worst case scenario, I'd just pull new cable if I had to. Secondly, most typically, the connector on the wall plate takes the abuse but if you treat them gently, and use quality/rebuilable connectors, they last a good long time. BTW, there's a bit of slack in side the wall to facilitate repairs as needed.

nice ;)

so if they are XLR connections, how would I hook my headphones up to the snake? Use some sort of adapter or is there a 1/4" plug on the snake as well?

I currently have my headphones plugged into my mixer, will that still work? :)

A simple adapter to go either way (xlr - 1/4" or visa versa). Some snakes boxes have 1/4" jacks on them as well as XLRs. Do some surfin'...search for "Stage Snake".

yakatchalater!

Back