buying realtraps VS hanging (making) fiberglass (traps)

You pay extra to save yourself time and hassle. Traps can be made very inexpensively, but you've got to have somebody to buy the materials and do the work. If you are a handy kind of person then it may be worth looking into. If you'd rather open a box and pull out a realtrap, then that's the route for you , but it may cost a little extra.

You get a professionally assembled product with warranty and support.

I don't know all the details of their products, and it is their right to not tell their trade secrets either, but it is my impression that Realtraps are not just a stack of 703 fiberglass in a frame.

However a covered stack of 703 fiberglass will do the job of absorbing sound. Sound doesn't know whether it has been absorbed by a professional assembled product with warranty and support or a do it yourself project. A 4 inch stack of 703 will absorb prett much all sound that hits it, and you cant absorb more than all.

Technically speaking a stack of 703 is not a bass trap but a broadband trap. A bass trap would kill the bass frequency and not kill the others (after all doesn't a high frequency trap do exactly the opposite). But a thick panel of 703 absorbs all frequencies and I think that realtraps do too.

Inno,

> it is my impression that Realtraps are not just a stack of 703 fiberglass in a frame. <

Correct, they are not just a stack of 703 rigid fiberglass.

> a thick panel of 703 absorbs all frequencies and I think that realtraps do too. <

Not so. You can see the absorption characteristics of all our traps on the Product Data page of our web site.

That said, a 4-inch stack of 703 will do a fine job. When someone has more ambition than cash, it's a great way to get decent bass trapping for not a lot of money.

--Ethan

Last edited:
Ethan Winer said:
> a thick panel of 703 absorbs all frequencies and I think that realtraps do too. <

Not so. You can see the absorption characteristics of all our traps on the Product Data page of our web site.
True your absorbtion is not completely uniform, what would be, but my point, one which you have also said, is that once you have defeated the bass with these traps you have also installed all the high and mid absorbtion you will most likely need too. If it were literally a bass-only trap then that would not be the case.

Inno,

> If it were literally a bass-only trap then that would not be the case. <

Absolutely. A wood panel bass trap, for example, absorbs only bass and reflects mids and highs.

--Ethan

FreakkGuitarist,

If you have the money, then go with the RealTraps. I'm building my own broadband absorbers using Rockwool, pine frames, and fabric; I can honestly say that I'd prefer to just buy 'em. It is a lot of time and work (and I love working with wood too) and if I had had the money I'd have just bought them.

I bought them and believe they are the best investment I made in my studio - above and beyond any mic or processor. Plus, Ethan is great to work with.

Back