Building a vocal booth

wjddnwls

Now it's been ages since I was on here but I remember it being helpful so I thought I'd make my first post.

I am in the process of brainstorming a way to build a modular vocal booth.

I initially wanted to use rigid insulation to make a "wall" (so that I don't have to go through the process of framing) and then wrap that in MLV and cork tacked on with some green glue then sandwich it with more green glue with drywall.
But I quickly realized that I don't know if I can trust rigid insulation even though the thickest one I can find is 3.3". (unless I'm mistaken. I'm no expert in these type of things)

So then my next thought process is.. Okay let's take it the old traditional way.
Get a couple of slats, make a frame, put some rockwool in (I already have some) to make a "wall" first and then wrap it in MLV and cork and then sandwich it with drywall.

But I was wondering if there are any other alternative to wood. Yes it has to be strong, easy to screw into but lighter than wood?
I already know that the combination of MLV, cork, and rockwool is going to make it heavy so I want to try and use light materials for every other component.

Might be a dumb question but please bear with me.

You could go look at metal studs. You would use fine pitch drywall screws to screw them together.

Access Denied

Ideally, you would not want to record vocals in a booth. If you have a large open room, it would sound better. But to be honest, I don't record in a large room myself. I find my little studio is adequate.

I have had experience building a corner vocal booth and chose gypsum board as the main material. I found it easy to use and not too expensive. The gypsum board is not the only suitable material, though. Plywood or MDF are quite suitable materials.

If you use gypsum/plasterboard/sheetrock then you still need a frame with pieces of frame at every 400mm/16" centers otherwise the board with sag/belly.

Using 18mm plywood/osb board will allow you to stretch this frame to 600mm/24". But it is pointless redesigning your framing as the cheapest part of your construction is the framing. The board materials cost more.

The framing is also usually governed by your acoustic insulation which comes in boards and should fit snugly between your framing. The last thing you want to do is end up cutting your insulation and having lots of uneven edges and waste. What is the point in doing that?

Regards weight. Most manufacturers websites give you the weight of their products. It is quite easy to total the weight of your sound booth. It is something I had to do because mine was getting heavy.

Back