Building a Studio in Preexisting Home

chalkylean

Hi everyone,

I was looking to build a one room space for my studio needs, though the problem I'm having is knowing where to even start. I'm very picky about the idea and have run into a bunch of problems since so I'm just completely lost on the idea of building a studio. First off, I'm in a rock band of two guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. We're looking to build a room that can be well played into the A.M. We play till 4 AM if possible. I was thinking about getting a Vocal Booth since they're portable (preferably the Diamond or Platinum series), but most tell me it'd be a lot cheaper to build my own room.

I was looking to build a 12 x 12 or 13 x 13 in either my patio as this seems to be the most abundant space, but the problem with that is that it's right next to my parent's room. Is it possible to isolate most of the sound as to where they won't wake up? The room would be about 15 feet away from their room.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I was looking to build a one room space for my studio needs, though the problem I'm having is knowing where to even start. I'm very picky about the idea and have run into a bunch of problems since so I'm just completely lost on the idea of building a studio. First off, I'm in a rock band of two guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. We're looking to build a room that can be well played into the A.M. We play till 4 AM if possible. I was thinking about getting a Vocal Booth since they're portable (preferably the Diamond or Platinum series), but most tell me it'd be a lot cheaper to build my own room.

I was looking to build a 12 x 12 or 13 x 13 in either my patio as this seems to be the most abundant space, but the problem with that is that it's right next to my parent's room. Is it possible to isolate most of the sound as to where they won't wake up? The room would be about 15 feet away from their room.

Thanks
Well,...you may be up against it in terms of not disturbing your parent's at only 15 feet away,...but,if done properly the results may be in line of what you are looking for.I built a studio consisting of a control room & live room.The live room is adjacent to two bedrooms which are one level above.The control room is in a level of my home directly under the living room.I can record lower level sounds in the live room during the night without disturbing people who are sleeping,...so,of course,loud guitars,drums,etc. are not being recorded during the midnight hours.The control room allows me to work during any hours of the day without disturbing those sitting in the living room above.I have cranked the monitors to over 100db and all I can hear when sitting in the living room is a slight bass rumble which does not cause a disturbance even when watching television,

Having said all that,...it all depends on the steps you take and how much you are willing to spend to meet your isolation soundproofing needs.I have supplied you with a couple links to videos that show how I built my studio rooms from start to finish explaining the soundproofing and acoustical treatment techniques used during the build.

Hope it helps you some.

Part 1 Sanctuary Studio Control Room Build - YouTube

Part 2 Sanctuary Studio Live Room Build - YouTube

This would be a very, very expensive endeavor and would require very meticulous construction. Isolation is not cheap, and mass isn't either - and 15 feet is very close.

I would recommend getting Rod Gervais' book, Home Recording Studio: Built it Like the Pros and read through it before deciding on any construction. At least half the book talks about isolation, the correct ways to build everything along with many diagrams and is ridiculously helpful when constructing a space for music.

Back