Building a studio in the garden.

Hydrate

Hi all, after trying lots of designs for a studio in the house I've decided that building one outside will give me more scope to do it right. The biggest issue here is traffic, ground and air. Massive trucks are constantly rolling by and we have an airbase that like to practice just above the house.

At this stage I'm just trying to get an idea of how thick I'd need to make the walls/foundation to block out all sound. Any advice and techniques to achieve this would be great.

Thanks

Can you dig a hole about 40 feet deep? ;)

What's the overall size (amount of space) you have to work with? What's your budget? You could build a 'concrete box' - an outer shell with thick concrete walls, floor and roof, then suspend a room inside using floating techniques, including rubber shock absorption, staggered wall studs, plenty of OC703 or 705 in the wall cavities.

In theory, I guess I could but I'd never be able to climb out! ;)

I'd like everything to fit into an approx 10 x 6 metre area but we have best part of an acre of garden so plenty of space. The budget is limited but I'm going to try and do as much of the work myself. I'm willing to invest in the materials. Would a double or triple skin block wall be required or are we talking pouring concrete and rebar job?

Suggest you hire an expert to design what is needed.

Spot-on!

Excluding external noise - especially low frequency - is complicated and expensive and needs someone who knows what they're doing.

Be aware that many architects and builders who claim to know about sound-proofing don't and you could spend lots of money for a less than satisfactory result.

You need someone who has a good track-record and can provide reference contacts that they'll let you talk to direct.

I've done quite a few studio builds, and keep on learning - sadly from my mistakes. I've discovered that lots of effort put into walls and floors is often wasted, because the roof and inner ceiling is where getting the same mass becomes a problem. In one of the past ones, I increased the ceiling thickness to match the walls, and the outside to inside noise transfer was really, really good. After 3 months, however, my lack of engineering design meant it had started to sag - so I cut out a big section in the middle, and got a so called isolation mount. This was really a screw bottle design with a big rubber section to "provide the acoustic isolation". Rubbish - it took the strain, and the sag was solved. Trouble was the first time a seagull landed on the roof, the walking around was transmitted loud and clear into the room. I bought some of the popular design books and pinched ideas from there for my next design, and from what I can tell, the isolation I get from the current ceilings is very similar to the walls. I do know that it would NOT be sufficient if I had aircraft near me. There are loads and loads of amateur designers, like me - and very few skilled in studio construction who will be local. There are designers who can from a distance, design something you or a builder can produce a specific product with accurate performance specs. My knowledge has been built up from my successes and my failures. So to a large degree, luck based on experience. I'd never want to do it for somebody else who's expectations I probably could not meet.

Thanks Rob, I knew the ceiling and roof where going to present significant technical challenge, certainly outside of my skillset. Maybe that coldwar bunker is still for sale? ;)

Have a look at the stuff about shipping containers - lots of people using them for the basis of garden studios - lots of pros and cons - but perhaps a good starting point?

When building a studio, even high cost pro studio's, a lot of time is taken to find a location with no problem noise. Railway lines, aircraft, heavy traffic is best to stay away from. To reduce this sound transfer of a noisy outside world increases the cost 100 times over sound proofing in a quit area. It will need to be a room within a room, fully floated construction.

I knew of a studio that was built and running with no noise issues from the studio or into the studio that was caused no end of trouble by the building of a new railway nearby (and I am talking 500 to 600 mtrs away) that had a tight curve that caused the train wheels to squeal, the squeal could be heard in the studio so a whole lot of extra costs to add extra sound proofing took place, lots of dollars.

If the area is too noisy find a better place for the studio.

Alan.

IF its an occasional plane overhead or loud truck passing, you can learn to live with it (as long as this is not a commercial studio). Just retrack/pause.

Back