Building a studio

inbloom27

So within the past year, I've been really getting into recording. I've worked up a decent mic cabinet, got a wonderful interface, great monitoring system and all my instruments are wonderful. Problem is, I have all this stuff in my unfinished basement. I don't get bad recordings from my basement due to the fact that I close mic everything but I really want to start working on making the space a better one for recording. My budget is limited so I wanted to know what I should do first: floors, walls, something else. I can take pictures soon if anyone wants me to. Thanks a lot everyone!

I record in a concrete basement laundry room with drywall and concrete, and am on a budget of nothing for sound treatment. With some advice from the guys here when I first signed up, I found that piles of clothes in corners, and thick blankets, quilts and sleeping bags for walls are all good jury rig treatments. The whole place looks like... well a laundry room turned recording area, but it doesn't sound so brassy from reflections and such any more, and its free.

That sounds like a good idea but it wouldn't really work for me. I'm really looking to try and fully furnish my basement. I'm maybe thinking walls or ceiling first. Do I have to do walls before I do a ceiling?

First determine how much isolation you need from the rest of the house and the neighborhood. Then you can build accordingly. Do a sketch of the space with dimensions (height, width, and length) & we'll comment. There are calculators and more info on my publications page.
Cheers,
John

I'm really looking to try and fully furnish my basement.

Define "furnish". Usually it refers to "furniture". If you are referring to "building" a studio, that's an entirely different animal. :)

We can't help you if you don't help us. Post a plan with DIMENSIONS including height, and a few pics would help. Tell us your goal. Type of music. Budget. Do you own this home? Those answers will help us determine the next set of questions.

yeah, most of our spammers are from Pakistan. Some from China, some from India. But we occassionally get real users from China and India, we never get real users from Pakistan, just spammers.

And I wouldn't doubt if it was just one guy causing all the spam.

we never get real users from Pakistan, just spammers.
Computers didn't invent this crap. PEOPLE did. REAL people. REAL CESSPOOL DWELLING PEOPLE. They still crawl out from under rocks. Too bad their mothers let her abortion fail best parts run down her legs. Otherwise they might walk on two legs instead of eight.

Let's get this thread back on track, shall we?
My budget is limited so I wanted to know what I should do first:

First thing is DEFINE budget. Without knowing what you have to financially work with we're all spittin in the wind.

Back