Building a studio.

billabob

Ok, if you could build a studio from stratch, in your garage with a budget of £3000, how would go about it? Im not thinking of doing this just yet as im still learning to use gear better before i invest. But sometime in the not to far future. At my disposal already is a alesis multi mix 8, a laptop, a new mac and a shit load of insulation. How would you go about this?
xxxx

not enough money for me, i would spend that on mics in 5 minutes. but here goes... im gunna do it in dollars.
$1200 Pro Tools Digi 003
$500 2 Matched Rode NT1-A
$200 - 2x SM57
$200 - Beta 52
$200 - Mixing Desk (the $100 one is too small)
$400 - KRK RP8 Monitors
$100 - Sony MDR 7506 Headphones
$100 - Mic Cables
$100 - Mic Stands
=$3000

Its really not enough - buy used if you can.

Generally speaking...(and I'm talking about the build here)

The bigger the better

Rectangle shaped good...square shaped bad

The higher you can make your ceiling the better (if this is an option)

Isolation takes MASS...so depending on how loud you'll be and how close your neighbors are, you may need to look into isolation.

Acoustic treatment is your friend and some of it (at least some) should be figured into the cost of your build.

my 2 pesos mang. ;)

Find a deal on as many bass traps as you can afford. You never can have too much.

hey allen, dont forget £3000 is about the same as $6000 dollars. Would there be any improvements on this budget?
xxx

hey allen, dont forget £3000 is about the same as $6000 dollars. Would there be any improvements on this budget?
xxx

So wait, are we talking gear costs or construction costs?

Does this garage have a garage door? If so, do you intend to keep the garage door or remove it and dedicate the space specifically as a studio? How close are a) neighbors that don't want to hear you and b) outside noises that might affect your sound inside?

ok so how much would i be looking at to sound proof the garage to a reasonable level. the room is rectangular and dimensions are roughly 18ft by 8ft.
xxx

not enough money for me, i would spend that on mics in 5 minutes. but here goes... im gunna do it in dollars.
$1200 Pro Tools Digi 003
$500 2 Matched Rode NT1-A
$200 - 2x SM57
$200 - Beta 52
$200 - Mixing Desk (the $100 one is too small)
$400 - KRK RP8 Monitors
$100 - Sony MDR 7506 Headphones
$100 - Mic Cables
$100 - Mic Stands
=$3000

Its really not enough - buy used if you can.
£3000 = ~$4500. Also, you don't need protools, the mixing desk, etc.

ok so how much would i be looking at to sound proof the garage to a reasonable level. the room is rectangular and dimensions are roughly 18ft by 8ft.
xxx
Depends the existing structure, what you mean by "a reasonable level", if you would be building it or hiring someone in, if you are allowed (planning permission, building warrant...), what your requirements are (windows, blocking up the garage door, etc.)...

well the current structure is just made outta brick. the in one small window say 2ftx2ft may smaller and a normal wooden garage door, big enough to fit a car through. however on one side the garage is built into the garden about 12ft on one side is got about 5 ft of dirt covering it if that makes sense.
xxx

well the current structure is just made outta brick. the in one small window say 2ftx2ft may smaller and a normal wooden garage door, big enough to fit a car through. however on one side the garage is built into the garden about 12ft on one side is got about 5 ft of dirt covering it if that makes sense.
xxx
What is the roof like?

Its a slanted wooden roof. however there are wooden beams going across like rafters where i will probably have as the roof.
xxx

£3000 = ~$4500. Also, you don't need protools, the mixing desk, etc.

I wont argue about the pro tools but I would get it. Also you need something to work on, why buy a non mixing desk? They are about the same price plus now you have convenient rack space.

With the extra $1500 I would buy a whisper room for vocals.

Ok, cheers, the main focus of this studio will be for guitar and vocals for now just to let people know i will eventually add drums when i get enough money.
xxxx

I wont argue about the pro tools but I would get it. Also you need something to work on, why buy a non mixing desk? They are about the same price plus now you have convenient rack space.

With the extra $1500 I would buy a whisper room for vocals.
... or spend it on proper acoustic treatment.

Pro Tools is fine if you have the money for an HD setup, but the LE version is limited. I also hate the protools/digidesign ethic, where you can't use any other hardware but theirs. I rather go with something like Cockos Reaper.

Why bother with a mixing desk when you don't need one? You're wasting money that could go on something more important.

Back